People anxious about Solar activity and Cosmic events.

I have encountered people who have experienced anxiety about the above.
I welcome any advice or thoughts on how to help them overcome their fears.
Sometimes their fears are irrational but nevertheless to these people their fears are real.
Thanks.

Reactions: Catastrophe
I don't fear either actually it would be awesome to see an overhead aurora at 34º South,
Asteroids, well I don't tend to think about them. NASA are not always finding them early either. It is what it is.
My thoughts are more towards helping people overcome their fears if I can.

Some good news to calm the soul about solar activity:

1) The latest solar cycle is likely going to wimpy like the last one. Not much to get overly excited.
2) We have lots of solar observatories, here and in space, keeping an eye on things.
3) We are better able to respond if and when a flare of CME is headed are way.
4) We now even know its color. [Ok this one is strictly shill stuff. Don't use it or they'll not believe the other three. :)]

Cosmic concerns:
As in 3 above, we have a great idea what is moving around in our solar system and there is no cause for alarm in the near future. Also, with our ability to find threats, we also have the ability to tackle the threats. Dinosaurs had neither telescopes nor space craft, not that I would've helped them.

Some good news to calm the soul about solar activity:

1) The latest solar cycle is likely going to wimpy like the last one. Not much to get overly excited.
2) We have lots of solar observatories, here and in space, keeping an eye on things.
3) We are better able to respond if and when a flare of CME is headed are way.
4) We now even know its color. [Ok this one is strictly shill stuff. Don't use it or they'll not believe the other three. :)]

Cosmic concerns:
As in 3 above, we have a great idea what is moving around in our solar system and there is no cause for alarm in the near future. Also, with our ability to find threats, we also have the ability to tackle the threats. Dinosaurs had neither telescopes nor space craft, not that I would've helped them.

Thanks for your reply Helio.
There may be hope that SC 25 won't be such a dud as SC 24, particularly as solar activity is above predicted at this point in time, I'm speaking from my perspective now.

At the heart of the problem is the deluge of false information and sensationalist websites run by people who revel in fearmongering. Sadly people become addicted to following such.
In the end I can only encourage those to look at the true science and research that is being done and avoid those sites that gender fear.
:)

Reactions: Catastrophe

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.
TA, fortunately it is receiving some attention from distant detectors, so that we are not limited to Earthbound sightings which can be subject to "out of the Sun" asteroids. Perhaps you have seen old war films when enemy 'bandits' come "out of the Sun" = hidden by the Sun's glare?

Cat :)

Reactions: Terra Australis
Cat,
I just skimmed through an article that NASA has just released, mentioning their Double Asteroid Redirection Test (DART). Scheduled to launch Nov 23. It will test an asteroid defence plan called the kinectic impactor technique, it involves shooting one or more large spacecraft into the path of an oncoming asteroid, in order to change the space rock's motion ... it goes on

Just what we've been thinking about :)

Yes I understand hidden by the glare of the sun. It will be interesting to see if NASA can alter the paths of the asteroids, I sure hope they don't muck up though and send it Earthbound!

Last edited:

Latest posts