permanent logistics module

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gravity_Ray

In Wiki I noticed on the exploded picture of the ISS a new module called the "permanent logistics module". Is this one of the MPLM's? If so which one? Anybody has the details here?

If so I think this will be a very good idea as space is at a premium in the ISS and having another module, say as a closet, makes sense.

Thanks

D

davp99

Can they be modified to fly with a Booster ? If not then they All certainly should be brought up on the last shuttle flights, i'm sure they can always be useful as spare cabins, etc. Load them up with Spare parts.

Dave

G

Gravity_Ray

Dave

Anything can be put on a booster and launched but it wouldnt be realistic for the MPLM's.

Actually I did find the video and heard Kirk Shireman the ISS deputy program manager say in a video that they are considering leaving the last MPLM (should be the "Leonardo") up there. But its only a consideration right now. Whats funny is that somebody already posted it to Wiki's ISS page. I guess its good to be optemistic.

I do agree with you that it will be a great idea to have extra space there without actually paying for it since the MPLM is already built and being sent up there to resupply anyway.

D

davp99

Hi Ray,
Looks like the last 2 STS flights will each be bringing up Multi-Purpose Logistics Modules. And looking at the available space on the ( Future) multiple (3) Nodes, I can't see any problems with just leaving them up there..

Dave

D

davp99

Thanks for that info John,

Furthermore, the Multi-Purpose Logistics Module (MPLM) – either Raffaello, Leonardo, or Donatello – which will fly on STS-133 will be modified and re-designated as a Permanent Logistics Module (PLM) which will be left on the ISS after STS-133 departs.

Here's your answer Ray

Dave

M

MarkStanaway

This could become a de-facto hab module if it was equipped with a couple of sleep stations. It certainly may be a useful place for crew members to spend some quiet time to have a break from the ISS routine. The empty 'Jules Verne' ATV was certainly appreciated for the extra space it provided last year and that was when there were only three permanent crew members.

G

Gravity_Ray

Cool article, interesting to see this play out.

I don’t think they will be putting sleep stations here though! Based on the article looks like it will be on the zenith of node 2 at first which apparently is a dangerous place as far as micro-meteoroid impacts are concerned, maybe later when it’s moved to the nadir port of Node 2. I suspect Node 3 will be the central hang out for the station.

Probably will just be storage space. Seen some pictures of the Russian modules before a trash drop off, it’s like one of those hoarders episodes on TV. LOL

Actually this will be a good question:
After ISS is finished which module will be the hang out spot? (Like 10-forward in Star Trek)? I think Node 3 due to the copula windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts