Peter F. Hamilton books

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TimeDog

has anybody read any of his work? he's my favorite scifi author but ive never met anybody who has even herd of him.

http://www.peterfhamilton.co.uk/

ive read pandora's star and am half way through judas unchained. i cant seem to get enough! :D

S

summoner

I think you'll find that Hamilton is quite well known around here. I think I've read most of his books, btw Pandora's Star was my favorite.

T

TimeDog

:D excellent. that makes this place feel even more like home.

so summoner, what is it that you like about hamilton's work the most?

C

crazyeddie

TimeDog":1czvhr5u said:
has anybody read any of his work? he's my favorite scifi author but ive never met anybody who has even herd of him.

ive read pandora's star and am half way through judas unchained. i cant seem to get enough! :D

Pandora's Star is awesome, the sequel not so much......but he is undoubtedly a very talented writer. My only complaint is that there are so many characters and threads in these stories that they are hard to keep track of. When Judas Unchained came out, I had to go back and re-read Pandora's Star just to understand what was happening.

A

a_lost_packet_

TimeDog":3jh256zz said:

I've read the Night's Dawn (Reality Dysfunction) series (one of my favorites) and Pandora's Star/Judas Unchained. I really like his work.

S

summoner

TimeDog":1fwjuzvq said:
:D excellent. that makes this place feel even more like home.

so summoner, what is it that you like about hamilton's work the most?

As CE said, he has lots of characters that can be hard to follow, but that being said they are all so well developed that you feel like part of the family by the time your done with the book.

T

TimeDog

ill have to agree with everyone saying there are a lot of characters and its hard to follow it all. but that just makes me like it even more :D

i think im gonna read some more judas unchained now lol.

N

neomaine

Literally just finished Judas Unchained last night. Pandora's Star was a really really good read. The first half of Judas Unchained was just as good. The conclusion and wrap-up didn't quite fit the rest of the book. Seemed like a rush to finish or he was avoiding making it a trilogy.

Don't get me wrong, he finished up most of the open threads (and left others open for a sequal?) and the ending was OK. Its just the arcs didn't have the depth and breadth that he used throughout the whole story. Literally the last 4 or 5 chapters felt like someone else finished the book for him.

M

mj1

The Night's Dawn trilogy is one of my favorite, favorite reads. It was really long, but so good that the novels flew by. In another Sci-Fi forum, someone asked what Sci-Fi universe you'd like to live in. I'd take this one hands down. Bi-tek starships, neural nanonics (I would REALLY love a set of those), and really cool portable spacesuits. Yep, I'd take that universe anyday of the week.

N

neomaine

Night's Dawn, heh? Just, finished Greg Bear's ForgeOfGod/AvilOfStars.... Off to the book store. Thanks!

K

kiwigavin

I loved his Greg Mandell books but grew tired of the Reality Dysfunction (Confederation) Series. Dunno why, maybe I wasn't in the mood for it. But Fallen Dragon was excellent. A really novel (sorry) take on the Traveller/Aliens/Space Marines genre.

I think it's time to give him another whirl.

And I've got to give full kudos to anyone who can make Peterborough the centre of a cyberpunk universe (Mindstar). For you non-Brits out there imagine Bladerunner set in Torrance. Without the glamour. Or the Omnimall.

Off-thread, and it may have been covered elsewhere, but I think the greatest Brit Scifi writer at the mo (apart from Sir Terry) is Alastair Reynolds. Pushing Ice is the best hard scifi book ever (and I loved Ringworld when it was still Ring Dustcloud). Ice hits every button, including an obscure/oblique Blues Brothers reference.

A

a_lost_packet_

kiwigavin":2f7c0kr3 said:
I loved his Greg Mandell books but grew tired of the Reality Dysfunction (Confederation) Series. Dunno why, maybe I wasn't in the mood for it...[/i]

I could see how The Reality Dysfunction might have that effect on some. But, to really enjoy it, get "into" the details. It's real easy to not pay attention to them and try to just focus on the main plot. Yet, when it's all put together right, it's as rich as any fiction I've ever read. Excellent stuff. As a matter of fact, I think I'll re-read it.. again. :)

S

Saiph

dragonfall was a good one, and I read a bit of the Neutronium alchemist but had to return it to the library (years ago).

Haven't had a chance to pick up the rest of his work...sounds like I'll have to make another effort :)

After I get through with reading a lot of stephen kings stuff...I realized I hadn't read ANY of his books, and considering the mark he's made on american culture I should see what the big deal is :)

V

Valcan

I love the science in his books but there all so dang depressing.

Status
Not open for further replies.