Phoenix Lander 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

grooble

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4606251.stm<br /><br />Wonder what interesting discoveries this beast will come up with?<br /><br />I bet the images will be really crisp, high pixel count. <br /><br />Whoops, i thought this craft was that big giant rover they had planned. I never even heard of this lander until now.

S

starbaby57

Just the old 2001 mothballed lander taken out of storage. Pretty pointless to me. Land near the pole, find water frozen just under the surface. hmm... How much for this bit of knowlege??? Many other possible choices would have open up new avenues of discovery. I would have liked to see an orbiter capable of high resolution IR to try to narrow down the sources of methane. Also, a very low orbiting satellite with a magnetometer to completely map the local magnetic fields on Mars. When surfing a web site on the discoveries of the Lunar Prospector, I was stunned to read that this mission had identified several places on the moon where the local magnetic field was sufficiently strong to deflect the solar wind. The site then casually mentioned that these could be good places to locate bases as the protected areas of some spots were upwards of 100 square kilometers. This is spectacular news that I am amazed is not more widely discussed. Similar locations on Mars should be scouted out as well.

Y

yurkin

So you think the study of Mars is better served by keeping Phoenix at a hanger in JPL?

K

kane007

Lots of info @ their website - http://phoenix.lpl.arizona.edu/ <br /><br />Looks likes its main camera - the SSI - sounds like a commercial 4 to 5 megapixal camera. And with MRO in orbit could give high band width video from the surface. Does anyone know if the camera will support video?<br /><br />Can't wait for the panoramics.

B

bpcooper

The giant rover is the 2009 Mars Science Laboratory. That is the "Big One" on the drawing board, and if successfull will be a scientific revolution on Mars.<br /><br />Phoeniz is nearly identical to Mars Polar Lander and is headed to the same general area. But it was of the 'faster better cheaper' assembly line, so cross your fingers. Extensive testing is to begin later this year and into 2006. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>-Ben</p> </div>

J

JonClarke

Phoenix is going to the north polar regions, MPL targeted the south polar regions, so the landing sites are about as far apart as it is possible to get.<br /><br />Given the fact that the failure modes of MPL are fairly well understood I think this lander has good vchance of success. And it is a fantastic opportunity to fly some of the backup instruments to those loss with MPL plus some of those lost when the 2001 lander was cancelled. All in all we are getting a very expensive mission for the price of a cheaper one.<br /><br />Jon <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

T

thalion

I love the fact that the lander has a meteorology package, but I'd really, really like to see some seismometers go to Mars; studying Marsquakes could give us invaluable insight into the interior of the planet, and perhaps even its history.

R

robotical

<i>Yes. Money better spent on other missions.</i><br /><br />You mean the money being spent on keeping it stored? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

H

holmec

WHAT??<br /><br />With the info we collected from the rovers and the mars orbiters, the pole is the next place to go.<br /><br />Sure it may resemble Viking, but I'm sure that where the simularities end. The key to a craft like this is checking out what is in the snow/ice, not wheather it has wheels or looks modern. This is science, not hotrod weekly.<br /><br />Also the scientists are following the water trail. To stop and follow a magnetic trail at this point is to downgrade the knowledge whe have in vested in successful missions to mars. Let them see where this trail take us. If it doesn't work, maybe the magnetic trail will. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#0000ff"><em>"SCE to AUX" - John Aaron, curiosity pays off</em></font></p> </div>

C

centsworth_II

Phoenix will give us the first ground level look at the transitional zone near the ice cap. It will give us the best look at sub-surface Mars. The only real look since Viking. It will give us the first truly microscopic images of the stuff on Mars. In fact microscopic in the extreme! <br /><br />The MSL may be six or more years away and may not even land near the pole, unless Phoenix gives it a reason to! I agree about the need for missions to fine tune the methane picture, but I also think it's important to get surface science from this so far unexplored area of Mars -- the sub polar region. <br /><br />One big question I'd like to see answered right away is how much of the strong water signal in the area comes from hydrated minerals and how much from water ice. Also, what is the ratio of water ice to CO2 beneath the surface. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts