Picture of Chandra before launch

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

omegamogo

I found on this pre-launch picture of the Chandra X-ray observatory (launched in July 23 1999) when I was browsing thru the files at wikipedia, it's a lot bigger then I thought! <br />That's Columbia it's being loaded to.<br /><br />http://tinyurl.com/6ubwp <br /><br />(Note: The pic is quite large, might take few minuets on a slow connection to load)<br />

N

najab

><i>...it's a lot bigger then I thought! </i><p>It was the first, and I believe the only, payload to fully utilise the payload bay volume. On every other flight there is some empty space - but that doesn't mean wasted capacity since the Orbiter is as much mass- as it is volume-constrained .</p>

C

CalliArcale

We've got several gorgeous posters of Chandra drifting away into space after its release here at my company, because we made the command and control subsystem. It really is a beautiful spacecraft. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#666699"><em>"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly . . . timey wimey . . . stuff."</em>  -- The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

O

omegamogo

<i>The Shuttle Orbiter Commander was Eileen Collins. She is also the commander of the next Shuttle.</i><br /><br />Eileen Collins. first female pilot and first female commander of a Space Shuttle and is slated to command STS-114, quite impressive I must say.<br /><br /><i>It was the first, and I believe the only, payload to fully utilize the payload bay volume.</i><br /><br />When I first saw the picture I thought it was strange that it fit <i>exactly</i> the payload area. I don't think even the ISS components took that much space.<br /><br /><i>We've got several gorgeous posters of Chandra drifting away into space after its release </i><br /><br />I think I've seen a scan of those posters some where, At least I remember seeing a large picture of Chandra shortly after it's release with a subtitle on the bottom. But I don't remember where exactly.

P

propforce

That's very admirable and she's a great role model for everyone !! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

C

CalliArcale

I was fortunate enough to meet Eileen Collins once. She was assisting with a NASA exhibit at the Minnesota State Fair a number of years ago. She's a really neat lady, very kind, very patient, and not even the slightest bit full of herself. She's got every reason to be full of herself, given her amazing acheivements (such as becoming a fighter pilot when women weren't allowed!), but she hasn't let any of it go to her head. She's really cool. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#666699"><em>"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly . . . timey wimey . . . stuff."</em>  -- The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.