Pilyhas-1 Conceptual design

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dryson

<p>Here is the first conceptual design for an inter-planetary starship. The idea works because the idea is based off of real world modules of the I.S.S. </p><p>Foreseeable problems involve</p><p>a. re-design of the ORION command module for use as a command cabin for two pilots. The remaining volume would be taken up by storage compartments, areas for the command crew's personal space along with possible sub-science stations to aid in the support of the main science racks.</p><p>b. re-design of the inter-connecting docking mechanism's to allow for a linear (center -line) type model instead of "crooked spine" look.</p><p>c. design of a retractable solar paneling system module to provide main electrical power and emergency electrical power</p><p>d.re-design of the PDR to use larger engines but still being the same relative PDR module used on the I.S.S. Different PDR modules will also have to be designed to allow for larger "train car" use. The more modules used the more engines will have to be used on the PDR.</p><p>e. design of fuel tank module comparable to amount of thrust needed per the total mass of the ship which would include the Command Module, x number of modules, fuel tank module and PDR</p><p>You will notice this module can handle many linearly connected I.S.S. modules. But for now we will only add let's say</p><p>maybe seve (7) modules including the fuel tank storage and PDR module. Two two three habitat modules connected with a unity module.</p><p>
url]
</p>

D

dragon04

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Here is the first conceptual design for an inter-planetary starship. The idea works because the idea is based off of real world modules of the I.S.S. <br /> Posted by dryson</DIV></p><p>Actually, it's really not the first design for an interplanetary or interstellar spacecraft. The original Orion spaceship goes back to the late 1950's.</p><p>As you're probably aware, the Orion ejected atomic bombs and detonated them against a "pusher plate" as a means of propulsion. Depending on configuration, an Orion could reach velocities approaching .1<em>c.</em></p><p>This design was, from an engineering standpoint, completely within the capabilities of 1960's technology.&nbsp; </p><p>http://sitelife.space.com/ver1.0/Forums/<br /></p><p>&nbsp;http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Orion_(nuclear_propulsion)</p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <em>"2012.. Year of the Dragon!! Get on the Dragon Wagon!".</em> </div>

T

trailrider

<p>I sent a design for a nuclear-explosion driven rocket ship to the U.S. Navy in 1954 (I was in fourth grade).&nbsp; It didn't use a pusher plate, but a combustion chamber made of "unobtainium"! When Project Orion was announced, I asked the retired naval officer if my idea had sparked any ideas that resulted in Project Orion.&nbsp;(This was in 1962, when I was in my second year of college.)&nbsp; R.C. Truax,&nbsp;Capt., USN (Ret), by then head of Advanced Development&nbsp;at Aerojet-General (Sea Dragon, etc.), who was the&nbsp;man who had originally received my grade school concept, replied&nbsp;that he didn't think I had anything to do with it...but how would I like to work for him the next summer!&nbsp; I did.</p><p>Right now, I'd just like to see America get astronauts&nbsp;back to the Moon, establish a PERMANENT base, and prepare for manned&nbsp;exploration of Mars!</p><p>But you younger people keep on dreaming, and pushing the dream!&nbsp; "And, from the crew of Apollo 8...God Bless all of us.&nbsp; All of us on the Good Earth!"</p><p>Ad LEO! Ad Luna! Ad&nbsp;Ares!&nbsp;AD ASTRA!&nbsp;&nbsp;</p>

D

dryson

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I sent a design for a nuclear-explosion driven rocket ship to the U.S. Navy in 1954 (I was in fourth grade).&nbsp; It didn't use a pusher plate, but a combustion chamber made of "unobtainium"! When Project Orion was announced, I asked the retired naval officer if my idea had sparked any ideas that resulted in Project Orion.&nbsp;(This was in 1962, when I was in my second year of college.)&nbsp; R.C. Truax,&nbsp;Capt., USN (Ret), by then head of Advanced Development&nbsp;at Aerojet-General (Sea Dragon, etc.), who was the&nbsp;man who had originally received my grade school concept, replied&nbsp;that he didn't think I had anything to do with it...but how would I like to work for him the next summer!&nbsp; I did.Right now, I'd just like to see America get astronauts&nbsp;back to the Moon, establish a PERMANENT base, and prepare for manned&nbsp;exploration of Mars!But you younger people keep on dreaming, and pushing the dream!&nbsp; "And, from the crew of Apollo 8...God Bless all of us.&nbsp; All of us on the Good Earth!"Ad LEO! Ad Luna! Ad&nbsp;Ares!&nbsp;AD ASTRA!&nbsp;&nbsp; <br />Posted by trailrider</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>You see though this design is not a conceptual just the drawing is. The modules are from the I.S.S. they actually work this way at the space station. Only some minor engineering changes to the ORION command module and propulsion unit along with the aforementioned reviews plus increased structural strengthing is all this starship would need to be able to be used to goto Mars.</p>

B

Boris_Badenov

<font size="2">What engines does it have? That alone will determine how much mass you can push & how big the gas tank needs to be. LH2/LOX&nbsp;engines will need a tank larger than the mass of the ship to stop at it's destination once you get it moving.&nbsp;</font> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#993300"><span class="body"><font size="2" color="#3366ff"><div align="center">. </div><div align="center">Never roll in the mud with a pig. You'll both get dirty & the pig likes it.</div></font></span></font> </div>

D

dryson

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>What engines does it have? That alone will determine how much mass you can push & how big the gas tank needs to be. LH2/LOX&nbsp;engines will need a tank larger than the mass of the ship to stop at it's destination once you get it moving.&nbsp; <br />Posted by boris1961</DIV></p><p>Well Boris, that is one of the questions around this design. Currently I have used the PDR Baseline Propulsion unit from the I.S.S. It has already been built to allow for docking with the space station using the docking mechanism's that the I.S.S. does to connect the modules. The engine "sled" as&nbsp; I call it would need to have larger engines used on it instead of the manuevering thruster's. I was thinking ,for the theoretical purposes of the design, that one or two of the the oribiter main engines could be used. The orbiter support engines, housed in the ears of the engine area, could be used for pulsed flight. Pulsed flight would occur after the two main engines have fired sending the ship towards it's destination. Once fired for a determined rate of velocity, the main engines would cut-off. The secondary engines would then be used for fuel conservation and course correction along with pulsed flight. Pulsed flight is where the secondary engines fire increasing the forward velocity of the ship but not so much velocity that it would consume more fuel by using the main engines to propel the ship forward.</p><p>If can give some ideas on the engine portion Boris, that would be big help. I'm still working on the ship from the "sled" to the command module.</p><p>Design review 01a - A new design procedure has been added to the Pilyhas-1 design or the second generation of the Pilyhas-1 concept. The design has been labeled the Pilyhas-11 concept. The 11 design concept is still based off of the Pilyhas-1 concept but instead of sending the smaller ships that would have maybe four or five modules into space one at a time and then assembled, these smaller ships would have a shell built around them and launched as one unit from Earth. Think of the old Saturn V rockets in the concept of the exterior only. This exterior protected the fuel and moon lander until they had reached space. Instead of the exterior protecting the fuel tanks, they would be protecting the modules built and then encapsulated inside of them. This would require less money to be spent on sending one module up at a time, would increase the speed of getting customizeable ships into space and also decrease the time of getting to the Moon and Mars in this manner.</p><p>The larger ships, meaning more modules that would negate the launching as described above, would be launched in either two or three module sections as described above and would then would be connected to each other when in space.&nbsp; </p><p>This design would also increase the survivability of the modules by 50% as the modules would have an extra layer of protection against UV rays and micrometer strikes. </p><p>&nbsp;</p>

D

dryson

<p>Another issue that must be delt with is a lander/return type craft that would take the crew down to Mars and then be able to make a return journey back to the Pilyhas-11 and then back to Mars again. The craft would need to be docked with the docking mechanism at the fore of the command module of the Pilyhas-11. </p><p>&nbsp;Any ideas?<br /></p>

Status
Not open for further replies.