Plane geometry and UFOs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rmax304823

Long ago I saw what can only be described as a UFO. I'm trying to get a handle on its dimensions. It was a bright circle slightly larger than the full moon. It appeared from behind a skyline that was at least one mile away. (Wish I could draw a diagram.) The problem is finding the distance between the two points at the base of an isoscoles triange. The two long legs of the triangle are one mile. Degrees at the top angle are those of the moon plus, say, 10 percent. If I remember from HS, you can solve for the length of the base if you know the length of the two sides and the angle at the top. But I can't remember how to do it. I am dying to know HOW BIG WAS THE THING. Can anybody help? If so, could you email me at RMax304823@yahoo.com? Thanks in advance.

B

billslugg

The Moon subtends an angle of about 1/2 degree when full.<br />Ten percent more than that would be .6 degree. At a distance of one mile the UFO would be twice the tangent of half of the .6 degree figure multiplied by 5280 feet. Tan .3 degree is .00524. Twice that is .0105. Times 5280 is 55 feet. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p> </p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts