Pluto

Page 6 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

adrenalynn

I had hoped no one would catch that when I woke up today and I kicked myself about 45sec after waking up. I had posted after my bedtime... Yes - absolutely you are correct. <br /><br />I know 2.512^x **, of course. I really should just stick to freespace after my bedtime so I don't embarass myself.<br /><br />Mea Culpa! Thanks for the catch!<br /><br />** x= m(sub f) - m(sub b) <br /><br />v(sub b) is variation in brightness = 2.512^x [Sigh.] <br /><br />[edit] For clarity. Added a line-feed so that m(sub b) didn't appear to be multiplied by v(sub b) <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>.</p><p><font size="3">bipartisan</font>  (<span style="color:blue" class="pointer"><span class="pron"><font face="Lucida Sans Unicode" size="2">bī-pär'tĭ-zən, -sən</font></span></span>) [Adj.]  Maintaining the ability to blame republications when your stimulus plan proves to be a devastating failure.</p><p><strong><font color="#ff0000"><font color="#ff0000">IMPE</font><font color="#c0c0c0">ACH</font> <font color="#0000ff"><font color="#c0c0c0">O</font>BAMA</font>!</font></strong></p> </div>

B

billslugg

Nice try Adrenalynn, but I do not accept your explanation. No one could be who you say you are. Too many nerdalicious things in one package. You were a cyborg all along. One misplaced cosmic ray and boom - bad magnitude numbers. Never coulda happened in a human. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p> </p> </div>

A

adrenalynn

Busted!<br /><br />"Sleep"... "Recharge"...<br /><br />What's the difference? Close enough. The choice of language aids in my passing for huu'mon. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>.</p><p><font size="3">bipartisan</font>  (<span style="color:blue" class="pointer"><span class="pron"><font face="Lucida Sans Unicode" size="2">bī-pär'tĭ-zən, -sən</font></span></span>) [Adj.]  Maintaining the ability to blame republications when your stimulus plan proves to be a devastating failure.</p><p><strong><font color="#ff0000"><font color="#ff0000">IMPE</font><font color="#c0c0c0">ACH</font> <font color="#0000ff"><font color="#c0c0c0">O</font>BAMA</font>!</font></strong></p> </div>

A

adrenalynn

Actually - I can't use the bed time excuse either, looking back.<br /><br />It was only about, what, 22:41? That's not even close to my bed time.<br /><br />Cosmic radiation may be the best explanation, Bill. The other explanation is distasteful, specifically that although I know I know how to calculate difference in brightness, I just simply screwed the proverbial pooch on that one. I messed up. I made a mistake. It doesn't happen all <i>that</i> frequently. At least my errors are gihugic when they occur. Hard not to spot. <br /><br />On the plus-side, I am programmed to own-up to my own errors in either calculation or method (or in theory). In fact, I embrace my errors as I am assured of never making them again. (Pending better shielding against cosmic rays and/or stray EMF/EMP ...) <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>.</p><p><font size="3">bipartisan</font>  (<span style="color:blue" class="pointer"><span class="pron"><font face="Lucida Sans Unicode" size="2">bī-pär'tĭ-zən, -sən</font></span></span>) [Adj.]  Maintaining the ability to blame republications when your stimulus plan proves to be a devastating failure.</p><p><strong><font color="#ff0000"><font color="#ff0000">IMPE</font><font color="#c0c0c0">ACH</font> <font color="#0000ff"><font color="#c0c0c0">O</font>BAMA</font>!</font></strong></p> </div>

V

vandivx

I think there is still some explanation due, I can symphatise with questioner and feel some more layman explanation might not come amiss<br /><br />one might appreciate the molehill vs some spotlight more if it was explicitly pointed out that the molehill is not active source of light but only reflects light that falls on it and also in case of Pluto the Sun is very distant speck in its skies and I guess one could hardly read newspaper by sunshine light on Pluto (all things being equal like there being cloudless conditions which there are not ever I believe), probably our Moon 'shines' more here than Sun ever does on Pluto, that's how little light falls on it (but that is just guessing, I only go by how Sun looks from Mars which is much closer to Sun)<br /><br />another thing is that Pluto is moving on star background and is actually rather small compared to other planets close in<br /><br />also we are trying to see details in its clouds and we don't see much any but the point is we don't see any details whatever in stars that are 2500++ lgtyrs away either<br />we can get good deal of info from the light spectrum of their bright furnace but we don't get any 'picture' of those stars resolved in the sense that we are trying to get picture of Pluto, on the other hand the spectrum of light reflected off Pluto doesn't tell us quite as much about Pluto as it tells us about stars but here I think I skate on very thin ice and will get ripped to pieces, hope people will charitably try to gather what I am trying to put across here<br /><br />vanDivX <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Hi vanDivX,<br /><br />One would have to travel to approx 640 AU from the Sun, for the Sun to appear as the same <br />brightness of a Full Moon.<br /><br />From Pluto, Eris, etc the Sun is very faint as compared to Earth, but is still very might<br />brighter than a Full Moon. <br /><br />Our eyes would adapt on Pluto & Eris quite well & would probably be able to read<br />by the Sunlight, but the shadows will be very dark & sharp, due to the Sun appearing so small.<br /><br />Also Pluto is very small, smaller than seven moons in our solar system (ours included), so<br />sunlight has to travel to Pluto, then be reflected back, no wonder Pluto appears so faint!!!!!!!<br /><br />Check back later. I will post some info later, when I'm @ home.<br /><br />Andrew Brown. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080">"I suddenly noticed an anomaly to the left of Io, just off the rim of that world. It was extremely large with respect to the overall size of Io and crescent shaped. It seemed unbelievable that something that big had not been visible before".</font> <em><strong><font color="#000000">Linda Morabito </font></strong><font color="#800000">on discovering that the Jupiter moon Io was volcanically active. Friday 9th March 1979.</font></em></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://www.launchphotography.com/</font><br /><br /><font size="1" color="#000080">http://anthmartian.googlepages.com/thisislandearth</font></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://web.me.com/meridianijournal</font></p> </div>

V

vandivx

thanks for clearing that up, so its not that bad out there as I thought it would be<br /><br />640 AU... ho hum, that's much farther than the farthest probes are (voyager, pioneer) isn't it, if I recall out of hand they are at about 100 AU?<br /><br />vanDivX <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Hi vanDivX<br /><br />Your are more then welcome & you are correct, 100 AU is a good ball park figure <br />for the Pioneers & Voyagers.<br /><br />The below might be of interest.<br /><br />Sun as seen from Sedna. Wednesday 19th December 2007.<br /><br />Sun as seen from Eris. Wednesday 19th December 2007.<br /><br />Sun as seen from Pluto. Wednesday 19th December 2007.<br /><br />Pluto North Polar sky.<br /><br />Pluto South Polar sky.<br /><br />The Yellow circle has a radius of 10 degrees.<br /><br />Andrew Brown. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080">"I suddenly noticed an anomaly to the left of Io, just off the rim of that world. It was extremely large with respect to the overall size of Io and crescent shaped. It seemed unbelievable that something that big had not been visible before".</font> <em><strong><font color="#000000">Linda Morabito </font></strong><font color="#800000">on discovering that the Jupiter moon Io was volcanically active. Friday 9th March 1979.</font></em></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://www.launchphotography.com/</font><br /><br /><font size="1" color="#000080">http://anthmartian.googlepages.com/thisislandearth</font></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://web.me.com/meridianijournal</font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.