POLL and DISCUSSION: Post Review Feature

Should SDC turn off the post review feature?

• Yes, PLEASE. What a pain.

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • Nooooooo! I find it really useful.

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • I don't care.

Votes: 4 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

doublehelix

Currently, if you are replying to a post in a thread and someone posts in between the time you create the reply and submit the reply, you get the message that goes something like: "At least one new post has been made to this topic." Some find it useful, some find it to be a PITA.

Pros: you can see new, relevant posts and amend your post as a result.
Cons: it can slow things down, plus the edit feature is already there at your disposal.

Please vote! Your votes will determine the outcome as to whether or not the feature will remain or get turned off. You have one week to vote.

I look forward to reading your arguments pro or con, too.

-dh

A

abq_farside

I find it can be useful. The problem I see is the placement of the post review box. When I see it, it is usually off to the right side and sometimes the box where the review is placed, is small and makes it hard to read. If it was above or below the post you are making, it would make it much more user friendly and easier to read.

S

Smersh

I voted "Yes, PLEASE. What a pain."

Actually though, the feature doesn't really bother me to be honest. I've only seen it happen once or twice and it can only happen when two people are unknowingly crossposting, and the first person just happens to enter their post a few seconds before the second person.

As DH said in her op though, we do have the "edit" feature which could be used in the case of a crosspost if neccessary. I voted the way I did because anything that speeds up the system can only be good, imo!

R

ramparts

I find it very useful. Yes, you can edit afterwards as smersh said, but the great thing about this feature is the convenience: if you post something and don't get the message, you know no one has posted ahead of you. I've only gotten this message at most two or three times, but I do this little mental check all the time, and it's much much easier than the alternative of manually checking after every post you make. I'm very strongly in favor of keeping it.

M

mental_avenger

I voted: Yes, PLEASE. What a pain.

The very rare occasions where it might be useful is far outweighed by the amount of extra time it slows down the already slow loading of the pages, even if you choose to ignore the suggestion and go ahead with your post.

M

mental_avenger

abq_farside":1vk3kug0 said:
I find it can be useful. The problem I see is the placement of the post review box. When I see it, it is usually off to the right side and sometimes the box where the review is placed, is small and makes it hard to read. If it was above or below the post you are making, it would make it much more user friendly and easier to read.
From your post, it appears that you may have misunderstood the poll. DH is talking about removing the ” At least one new post has been made to this topic. You may wish to review your post in light of this.” feature that blocks your post after you hit the SUBMIT button.

M

mental_avenger

ramparts":3fqei6d1 said:
I've only gotten this message at most two or three times……….
If you have gotten it only 2 or 3 times, I can understand your vote. But those of us who have gotten the message dozens and dozens of times, it really slows things down. On an active thread, the message may come up every single time I post.

D

doublehelix

mental_avenger":7cho5rfw said:
it really slows things down. On an active thread, the message may come up every single time I post.

Just to disclose my experience: I have never found that the message slows anything down for me (here in the office or at home). I am taking your word, MA, for this. Has anyone else experienced the post review (NOT POST PREVIEW) feature to slow things down? Also, MA, what browser do you use?

-dh

M

mental_avenger

doublehelix":3dv5tcco said:
Just to disclose my experience: I have never found that the message slows anything down for me (here in the office or at home). I am taking your word, MA, for this. Has anyone else experienced the post review (NOT POST PREVIEW) feature to slow things down? Also, MA, what browser do you use?
I use Internet Explorer.

To explain the slow down. Let’s say each page takes 30 seconds to load. So I press SUBMIT, and 30 seconds later I get the “At least one new post has been made to this topic.” message. I don’t want to do that, so I press SUBMIT again, and 30 seconds later my post is submitted. Right there, I had to wait more than twice as long for my post to be submitted because of the message. That’s 30 seconds, plus the extra 30 seconds, plus the time it takes to scroll back down to the SUBMIT button again.

Does it work differently for anyone else? Am I doing something wrong?

R

ramparts

mental_avenger":owqxgh7a said:
doublehelix":owqxgh7a said:
I use Internet Explorer.

Don't use IE and then complain to us when your interwebs are slow :lol:

Seriously, though, 30 seconds seems extremely long to load, avenger. Are you on dial-up or something?

I think for those of us like avenger who post in very active topics frequently, maybe it's best to make this an option, if that's not too hard for the SDC higher-ups to implement.

D

drwayne

I wonder if a poll might benefit from something (other than I don't care) between the "It's great/It stinks"
extremes. :)

I find it more useful than painful, but not by such a margin as to be hugely unhappy if it was removed.

Wayne

M

mental_avenger

ramparts":3k2o5lam said:
Don't use IE and then complain to us when your interwebs are slow
I just tried FireFox, and the times were still about 20-25 seconds.

ramparts":3k2o5lam said:
Seriously, though, 30 seconds seems extremely long to load, avenger. Are you on dial-up or something?
Bresnan Broadband, which loads almost all other websites in one or two seconds.

A

abq_farside

mental_avenger":g7cai9w3 said:
From your post, it appears that you may have misunderstood the poll. DH is talking about removing the ” At least one new post has been made to this topic. You may wish to review your post in light of this.” feature that blocks your post after you hit the SUBMIT button.

Yeah I got that - I just thought I remember it showing the new post in a small portion of the window for you to review. Maybe I am mistaken.

C

crazyeddie

It used to be that Firefox was faster at loading pages than Safari. Now it's just the opposite, so I'm using Safari again. It's slow no matter what browser is used. Anything that speeds it up will be welcome.

D

doublehelix

drwayne":2ed8i5dv said:
I wonder if a poll might benefit from something (other than I don't care) between the "It's great/It stinks"
extremes. :)

I find it more useful than painful, but not by such a margin as to be hugely unhappy if it was removed.

Wayne

In order to make a decision, simple poll choices were necessary. To elaborate, you can post, just like you did. :ugeek: :)

-dh

A

a_lost_packet_

I like the feature and wouldn't want to see it turned off.

I don't find it extremely useful but, I do find it useful. Sometimes, I would simply be tempted to respond and move on to the next thread. This lets me know that I need to read the updated version of the thread so, it saves me a few screen-hops. I like that feature.

I don't find anything overly obtrusive about its notification or the mirrored text of the latest post.

So, it's a keeper, IMO.

PS - Is this feature switchable? Or, could it be made to be included in user prefs? If so, the discussion is pretty moot - Change it to a user-switchable feature if there are enough nays.

B

brandbll

doublehelix":271srhfl said:
mental_avenger":271srhfl said:
it really slows things down. On an active thread, the message may come up every single time I post.

-dh

Yes this post review thing is worthless in my opinion. I say we trim some excess and see if we can't get this whirly bird flyin a little faster. THe pros of it are worthless considering you can just edit your post after you see someone elses new post. I've had times where this thing has kicked in multiple times before i make my post. Do you know how annoying that is? I say close the curtain on the post review feature.

S

Swampcat

IMO, this is a rather useless feature that could be a real pain in some situations. Launches come to mind, where several people may be trying to post simultaneously and in a timely manner. I've had this happen, but just gave up after a couple of tries.

I see, however, that some think it's a good idea. I agree with a_l_p that if smilies, BBC code and signatures are selectable options, why can't this one be?

R

R1

I voted 'yes', but it's not really a pain. ..It's fine either way imo.

The thing about the review is that I can read nothing in it. I think it may be due to the fact
that I use the original/dark SDC template.

J

jryle1234

:D No keep it , I have no problem with it. Anything which helps me make better CENTS is fine with me. :lol:

M

MasterComposter

I don't find it very useful, and I have never modified my post based on the fact that someone else posted. What I do find useful is knowing that someone else psoted while I was writing, so I can be sure not to miss anything, but the opportunity to review my own post is not useful, and I can always edit it later.

That said, my pages seem to load a lot faster than other people are reporting, so it doesn't slow me down that much, and I don't find it to be a huge PITA.

R

R1

You seem to have worded it perfectly.

(A Cautionary note that a new post now precedes the one you posted may be very useful, but not the rest.
(In my case, I cannot even read it (the new preceding post), since I started using the 'nightime' SDC background template.))

: )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts