POSSIBLE Intergalactic meteor stream detected?

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

michaelmozina

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>However, as I mentioned, because the pebbles are high metal and heavy atom content, we know that they could not have formed early in the universe's age. Heavy atoms are nearly entirely synthesized by supernovas, re-condensation of the expelled gas clouds back into a next-generation star, supernova, re-condensation back into a next generation star, etc. A pebble rich in metals had to have been formed relatively recently, not 8 or 10 or 13 B yrs ago. <p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br /><br />Hmm. I'm not sure we can actually make that assumption.<br />http://www.mpe.mpg.de/Highlights/pr20020708.html<br /><br />I think all we need to get heavy elements is a supernova event. According to standard solar theory, a supernova event could occur relatively early ( a few million years) provided that the star is very large and it contains a lot of mass. Smaller stars take longer to fuse together all the elements and 'burn out' according to standard theory, but a large enough star could blow iron particles into the universe at a very young age.<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> It seems to be a natural consequence of our points of view to assume that the whole of space is filled with electrons and flying electric ions of all kinds. - Kristian Birkeland </div>

M

michaelmozina

http://www.spacetelescope.org/news/html/heic0306.html<br /><br />I also came across this news article about early star formation and the detection of quasars in the early universe. It seems to me that iron chunks have been around for a very long time and therefore it's difficult to determine the age of such a thing. If we throw in concepts like "expanding space", it's hard to know how far these objects have traveled to get there, or how long they've been in transit. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> It seems to be a natural consequence of our points of view to assume that the whole of space is filled with electrons and flying electric ions of all kinds. - Kristian Birkeland </div>

S

silylene old

Michael, your links describing strong evidence of early iron are interesting! Still, I think this was the exception. Mostly, iron has not been in high widespread concentration until rather recently in galactic timescales. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature" align="center"><em><font color="#0000ff">- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -</font></em> </div><div class="Discussion_UserSignature" align="center"><font color="#0000ff"><em>I really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function.</em></font> </div> </div>

M

michaelmozina

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>Michael, your links describing strong evidence of early iron are interesting! Still, I think this was the exception. Mostly, iron has not been in high widespread concentration until rather recently in galactic timescales.<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br /><br />Well, even assuming that you're right about the widespread concentration of iron, it doesn't take widespread concentration levels to spew some iron into the larger universe, and leave us with mostly iron objects in interstellar space. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> It seems to be a natural consequence of our points of view to assume that the whole of space is filled with electrons and flying electric ions of all kinds. - Kristian Birkeland </div>

S

schmack

<font color="yellow">1) huge uncertainties exist on M31 mass, once said to be larger than MW, now allegedly two thirds of MW. <br />Say it is of same OOM than MW, and that escape velocity is similar in OOM to MW. It is highly a function of distance to center. From 30000 LY of center, it is 1000 km/s in MW. <br />2) If its has been ejected from the periphery of M31, ie with lower velocities than Ve at Sun's orbit (<1000km/s), and with a trajectory passing by the Sun, the arrival velocity might be low enough for a capture <br />3) If you say relative velocity is about 500km/s, and distance M31-MW is 2.5 e6 LY= 1.6e11 AU =2.4 e19 km, time to reach us is1.5 billion years. <br />= /> answer is yes </font><br /><br />awesome maths, even i understood it. thanks for doing that.<br /><br />how cool is it that we may have witnessed an "extra/ inter galactic meteoroid? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font size="4" color="#ff0000"><font size="2">Assumption is the mother of all stuff ups</font> </font></p><p><font size="4" color="#ff0000">Gimme some Schmack Schmack!</font></p> </div>

S

schmack

Hi Silylene,<br /><br /><font color="yellow">And then one of these gravel pieces just by random chance happened to be on the exact vector to hit Earth in an exact lucky night location where an astronomer just happened to have a huge telescope with a high speed spectrograph camera running that moment of time and pointing in the exact correct direction.</font><br /><br /><br />i feel tempted to remind you that the almost infinite chance of what you state above happening, is no less than the almost infinite chance of it happening in any other single point in space and time. ie; such a planet being in such a constellation , or this particular object happening to encounter this particular peice of space and time instead of encountering it 50 or 60K years ago when earth would have been in a totally OTHER piece of space and time. <br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font size="4" color="#ff0000"><font size="2">Assumption is the mother of all stuff ups</font> </font></p><p><font size="4" color="#ff0000">Gimme some Schmack Schmack!</font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.