Power Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bobvanx

We were discussing SPS (Space Solar Power) and I mentioned the Power Tube folks.<br /><br />I've been following Doyle Brewington's efforts as he's brought his invention from idea to demonstrator to prototype to business. It's astonishing how much drive a person can have, when it comes to saving the world. <br /><br />Here's the website:<br /><br />http://www.powertubeinc.com/

N

nexium

Powertube may work great in some locations, but rock is a poor conductor of heat, so I suspect the output power will typically drop below 10 megawatts, perhaps as soon as the 2nd day. The below ground surface area is small compared to pumping in water. Yellowstone park is a good place to test the prototype. If a few gigawatts of power can be produced, cooling the caldera, the next big erruption may be delayed or weakened. Neil

B

bobvanx

Mr. Brewington won't let the PowerTube be installed in places with natural wonders.<br /><br />The primary location is actually in abandoned oil wells. The temp differential is enough and the thermal mass is enough that the simulations suggest cooling will be insignificant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts