Primordial black holes may flood the universe. Could one hit Earth?

An interesting report here on primordial black holes (PBH). Here are some notes I make from the article :)

"The early universe was a wild, complex time. Far different from the mild-mannered cosmos we inhabit today, the earliest moments of the Big Bang were marked by radical phase transitions, the splitting of fundamental elements and other wild events. While scientists understand the physics of the first few minutes, what happened before that is shrouded in mystery (and a bunch of complicated math)."

My observation. Good to see this, the present universe and present processes are clearly not the same as postulated in the BB model with inflation to explain the origin of *everything*.

"In the unknown and uncharted reaches of the universe's distant past, the conditions could have been just right to flood the universe with primordial black holes, which could have any mass, depending on the conditions under which they were made. But interest in primordial black holes waned over the decades as searches for them turned up empty — that is, until we had the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO)."

My observation. *flood the universe with primordial black holes* sounds exciting. Confirming the PBHs are real is difficult. In December 2013, Alan Guth published the scale conversion for the universe from inflation to the present. 10^-53 m maps to 1 m size today so the universe starts out *tiny* but expands to some 93 billion light years in diameter today (CMBR z~1100 today). That gives plenty of 3D space volume change to created multitudes of PBH and push them around somewhere, far, far away :)

"When LIGO detected its first black hole collision, the black holes had rather peculiar masses; each was a few dozen solar masses. That mass range is difficult to achieve with mergers of standard star-based black holes, because mergers would have to be a little too frequent to be plausible). And so, before you knew it, primordial black holes were back in the spotlight."

My observation. PBH may be testable still here. The article says, "The thing about processes in the early universe is that if there is some sort of exotic mechanism that can generate black holes, it's not going to make a few of them — it's going to flood the universe with them. In fact, there might be enough primordial black holes roaming the universe to explain at least a portion of dark matter, the mysterious substance that accounts for over 80% of all the matter in the cosmos."

My observation. Seems we now have plenty of exotic physics and processes operating in the very early universe to explain how everything evolved we see today according to cosmology and the BB model.

Latest posts