Problem, need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

conny402

I new to the scene an d have a stupid question to ask. I just bought a Orion 4.5 short tube refractor. Setting it up was easy enough but when I Used it at night on the balcony, I don't see anything. I even used it during the day,and directed it towards a group of trees. I see light throught the eye piece but nothing else. I even tried to use the Focus knob. And before any one askes yes the cap was taken off.<br /><br />Could someone please help me and let me know it the tube is broken or am I for getting to do something.

J

jcdenton

What eyepiece were you using? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

F

frostbrewed

Surely you mean reflector? You should start out with the lowest power eyepiece (the 25mm) adjust the focuser all the way in, point it at something (during the day) and slowly turn the focuser out. It should start getting clear about half way out. Also there are two caps on the end of most reflectors, a smaller one in the middle and a larger one that fits over the entire end of the tube, make sure both are removed.....if this doesn't fix it (assuming it's a reflector) refer to "collimating the optics" in your owners manual. I don't think you would have got a new scope that needs adjusting unless it was roughly handled during shipping, but stranger things have happened.......................................frost

C

conny402

Sorry ya, it's a reflctor and I have also been using the 25mm. as for the collimating, I also checked that and it dead on center.<br /><br />Any other suggustions

B

bbrock

Most interesting. You are doing everything OK. The 25mm EP should give good daytime results if the "Trees" are not too close and if the collimination is at least marginally close. There is no reason the scope should not work. You are certain the secondary and primary mirrors are alligned! <br /><br />When all else fails, call Orion. They provide great support. They will probably pay to ship the scope back to them and check it / replace it with another. <br /><br />Clear Skies<br />Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts