problems with PM's

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

silylene

Hello dh,

I have to computers that access the account called 'silylene'. On my notebook pc, which runs windows XP version 2002 service pack 2 Explorer version 6.0 (yes I know that sucks, but it is my work computer and I cannot change the op system), I can read pm's just fine.

One my home computer, which runs windows XP version 2002 service pack 3 Explorer version 7.0, I am now having a problem with PM's. I am not sure if this issue was there all along or not.
- When I try to open a PM, I get bounced back to the screen which asks for my login name and password. I cannot open PMs at all. And worse, when I try to subsequently open the same PM from my notebook computer, all I then see is a blank message.
- Apparently, the act of attempting to read a PM from this home computer deletes the content of the PM, and simultaneously denies me the ability to open the PM.
- I do however get the indication from the counter that the number of unopened pm's was decremented each time I attempt to read one (and each attempt wipes the content of the PM).

To the people that attempted to send me PMs in the last few days, please resend them. I won't try to open it with this computer which somehow erases their content, and I will only open it with my work computer which should be succesful.

Probably this problem is somehow related to the database corruption that has led to me being called 'petet' , 'old silylene', 'silylene', and which used to require me to use different login names for each computer (even though it was the same account).

Your help fixing this issue is appreciated. Until then, i will not attempt to access PM's from this computer, since it erases their contents.

M

MeteorWayne

Hi silylene; I just sent you a test PM. I'll keep an eye on this thread in case you want me to try another one at a different time.

Wayne

S

silylene

It just failed, same as before. I tried using my home computer.

S

silylene

I can't send a PM from my home computer either....I get stuck in an endless loop at the name&password stage (even though I am already logged in). I will try to send a PM from my notebook computer sometime in the next few hrs.

M

MeteorWayne

You sure have had a series of very weird problems. I certainly hope at some time we get tham all figured out and fixed.

They seem to be unique to your situation. I wish I had any useful ideas, but I'm completely stumped...and of course don't experience the same issue. My pooter is XP Pro, all updated, with McAfee all updated, and currently running IE8 (which has some unpleasant quirks when interfacing with SDC, mostly in the message writing pane)

It's really unfortunate that you have experienced all the problems you have for so long. There must be one little doohickey that is screwing things up. If only we could find it!
MW

D

doublehelix

MeteorWayne":1hjv5fdg said:
currently running IE8 (which has some unpleasant quirks when interfacing with SDC, mostly in the message writing pane)

Hi Wayne, we encountered this on Newsarama, too. I posted this (and slightly edited it here) there:

Hey guys, we checked in on the IE8 situation. We're going to look into our version of phpbb and see what needs to be done to fix that bug. For now, though, you can choose Tools --> Compatibility View in the IE8 browser. You can then go to Compatibility View settings, where you can type in space.com in the text box, and that will run things here like it does on IE7. Beware: if you do this mid-typing of your post, it will refresh the page and all your text will go bye bye. :ugeek:

-dh

Try this if you haven't already, and see if it makes a difference.

silylene, I'm going to forward this issue to our developers. Apologies for the frustration.

-dh

S

silylene

MW, your test pm worked, on my IE6 notebook puter. Sorry I forgot to check pms earlier.

I am sure it wouldn't have worked on my IE7 home puter however. That computer just eats pms, leaving them blank.

M

MeteorWayne

If you want to test that some time, post here when you are on that pooter, and I'll send you a PM as soon as I see it.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.