Project Voyager - a tribute

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rfoshaug

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to share with you a YouTube video I've created as a tribute to some of the greatest astronomical observatories ever - the Voyager probes. The video is clips from an old NASA illustration film about the Voyagers - I've just edited it for length (the original film is about 30 minutes and was on a CD that came with a book I bought a few years ago).

As for the music, I have composed and performed it myself. I created the music for this purpose - to use it with the Voyager film. I aimed to create a "late 70's futuristic mood" with the sounds used, and also wanted Saturn to have a distinctive musical theme that reflects the weirdness of the planet itself.

So here it is - I hope you'll enjoy it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Na1mLpjxmYY&fmt=18

This video and piece of music is dedicated to NASA, the Voyager probes and the people who made them possible.

Note to moderators: if this post is in the wrong forum or you think it is too offtopic, feel free to move or delete. The music is only a hobby for me, and I don't make any money on it, so this post is not intended as a "commercial" in any way.

D

derekmcd

Re: Project Voyager - my tribute

Interesting. My brother and I were just discussing some of our greatest scientific achievements the other night. We both agreed that the Voyager probes are amongst the greatest. However, he rated them higher than I might have.

I enjoyed the music, btw...

C

CalliArcale

Oh, AWESOME!!!

The Voyagers are special to me. I was a little girl when they flew by Jupiter, and in the early 80s I became enamored of a Nova special about the mission. My parents had taped it, and it became my favorite video. I'd watch it over and over again. I think it might have used some of those same clips of the Voyagers in action, and of the trajectory. Certainly very similar ones.

The late 70s, early 80s sound to the music is PERFECT. Fantastic work, and thank you so much for sharing!

Fantastic rfsohaug.

The Voyagers will always hold that special place in Space Exploration, particularly the first & so far the only passed by Uranus & Neptune.

I like your depictions, Io was really good, one of my favourite solar system bodies. The Galileans, well all of the moons in your video were accurately depicted, the lightning on Jupiter's nightside was pretty cool too.

Music is fantastic too, exactly suitable. Very Jean Michel Jarre or to a certain extent Mike Oldfield.

I have bookmarked your video.

Love your video, really do.

Andrew Brown.

S

SpeedFreek

Wow rfoshaug! I have had your extended version of Equinoxe 7 as a favourite at youtube for months and I never recognised you here - small world! I had already seen your Voyager video and I think it is excellent. Keep up the good work. :mrgreen:

D

dragon04

That's just...... magnificent.

I was 16 in 1977. It's hard to believe that the Voyagers have been sailing space for 2/3 of my 48 years, and they're still functioning. That's almost incomprehensible.

In an updated version of the golden record, I wonder if any thought is given to putting a video animation of such missions on a DVD to be launched with the mission itself.

It requires no language to show either other explorers or our own future ones exactly what the mission of such probes were. It just takes animation. That, and an entrancing score to go along with it, of course. :)

R

rfoshaug

Wow, thanks for your kind comments. :)

Andrew, I can't take credit for the animations and depictions of the planets. They are from an old NASA video. I've just edited it down to 10 minutes and set music to it.

It's nice to see other Voyager fans out there. :) Maybe other probes or the Hubble Space Telescope or ground based observatories have returned more scientific data over the years. But for me, none have sparked the imagination and given me more inspiration than the Voyagers. Even the name Voyager has this epic sound to it! And if we humans can send spacecraft to fly by all these planets and moons, there's almost no limit to what we can achieve.

And the eerie animations of Jupiter's atmosphere and Saturn's spooky rings and moons are almost creepy to watch... :)

N

nailpounder

My astronomy professor was working at JPL when Voyager 1 was launched. To listen to him explain the excitement that was felt when these vehicles were launched was in itself a treat. In 2006, my mom, daughter and myself went to a JPL
open house. I headed straight to the Voyager exhibit, mind you this was during the peak of the Mars rover missions! I spent an hour listening and asking questions. I would have spent another 8 hrs. right there never leaving this exhibit had my 14 yr. old daughter and mom had not begged me to please move on! They really wanted to see the" Mars stuff", me, I was lost in voyager.......................................Al

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts