Promoting Space Education

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

t4chan

<p>Hi, this is an continuous thread from previous thread (Continuded from" So is NASA having a hard time hiring youth?)", hopfuelly the organization is better. </p><p>Anyway, back to the main topic, right now, I am in aerospace engineering,and also enthusiastic space as well.I am planning to go to a graduate school to purse space study in a year later.&nbsp; </p><p>My question is, which university in the state that would you recommmend for space gradute study, i.e the universiy which has been activitly invloved in space field so I could pursue all of my interests in space.</p><p>I am thinking about MIT(Massachusetts Institute of Technology), but it seems the graduate programs they have does not seem to be activity involved in space.</p><p>any ideas?&nbsp;</p><p>Thank you </p>

K

KosmicHero

<p>&nbsp;</p><p>This really depends on what want out of space activities.&nbsp; I mean if you're interested in doing space robotics then definitely Maryland is the place to go.&nbsp; On the other hand if you want to do space systems or propulsion Georgia Tech is the place to be.&nbsp; MIT is a great school for these areas plus really great for mission design, space communications, and computers, among others. &nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;Some other places to look at are UC-Boulder, they have a good program in bioastronautics and also remote sensing and there is the space architecture program at University of Texas - Houston.&nbsp; There are schools that are considered great for aerospace in general (CalTech, University Illinois -Urbana, MIT, Georgia Tech, Stanford) but what it really comes down to for graduate school is what is the research they're doing and whether thats what you'd like to be doing. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> kosmichero.wordpress.com </div>

T

t4chan

<span style="font-family:Times;font-size:16px" class="Apple-style-span"><div style="font-family:Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:10px;background-color:#ffffff">To Kosmichero; Thanx a lot! These informations are really helpful, I will look into it more.</div></span>

D

DrRocket

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Hi, this is an continuous thread from previous thread (Continuded from" So is NASA having a hard time hiring youth?)", hopfuelly the organization is better. Anyway, back to the main topic, right now, I am in aerospace engineering,and also enthusiastic space as well.I am planning to go to a graduate school to purse space study in a year later.&nbsp; My question is, which university in the state that would you recommmend for space gradute study, i.e the universiy which has been activitly invloved in space field so I could pursue all of my interests in space.I am thinking about MIT(Massachusetts Institute of Technology), but it seems the graduate programs they have does not seem to be activity involved in space.any ideas?&nbsp;Thank you <br />Posted by t4chan</DIV></p><p>The answer to your question depends rather strongly on what it is that want to do with regard to space.&nbsp; If you are interested in designing or operating launch systems or space vehicles then you could not do better than the aeronautical engineering program at MIT.&nbsp; There are other good program as well.&nbsp; The Unversity of Alabama at Huntsville has a program in propulsion run by Clark Hawke that is quite good.</p><p>If you are interested in questions involving cosmology or the evolution of stars then you need to concentrate more on the scientific side -- physics and astrophysics -- than on engineering.&nbsp; Again, you could not do better than MIT.&nbsp; But&nbsp;there are other good schools.</p><p>Someone&nbsp;mentioned the University of Maryland.&nbsp; That is an excellent school for both engineering and science.&nbsp; </p><p>If you are interested in&nbsp;planetary exploration, there are lots of different ways to become involved.&nbsp; The definition of the missions involved is usually done by scientists rather than engineers.&nbsp; However, once the scientific mission has been defined both engineers and scientists are involved in designing the vehicles and instrumentation needed to perform it.&nbsp; Engineers are further involved in designing the propulsion systems to get the scientific equipment to the site at which it will be used.&nbsp;&nbsp; In this arena your involvement will be determined more by the organization with which you are affiliated after you have received your degree than by the university at which you are educated.&nbsp; <br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

N

neuvik

<p>You might try doing an internship or co-op with NASA, then you'd be immursed in with people who have already made those descisions.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; It also allow you to see what all the different fields have to offer.</p><p>&nbsp;Good luck!&nbsp; hope ya find what your looking for! </p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><strong><font color="#ff0000">I don't think I'm alone when I say, "I hope more planets fall under the ruthless domination of Earth!"</font></strong></p><p><font color="#0000ff">SDC Boards: Power by PLuck - Ph**king Luck</font></p> </div>

K

KosmicHero

<p>&nbsp;</p><p>With regards to the scientist/engineer dicotomy, I found an interesting program at Arizona State that actually sets out to blend the two, creating scientist-engineers that can conceive of and execute many different types of space projects.&nbsp; The program looks very young though... so maybe a program with a longer pedigree will be a better bet.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>http://sese.asu.edu/</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> kosmichero.wordpress.com </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts