Q: Lunar sorties versus outposts

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

logicize

I thought he was talking about digital commands to a robot?

M

MeteorWayne

Sorry, withe the confusion, I missed that.<br /><br />Still, processing must occur between commands and primitive code. A few seconds isn't so long. If what I am saying is correct, though, operating on the moon only saves the 2.8 seconds...the processing time most likely doesn't change. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

T

thereiwas

"Some processing", yes. But fly-by-wire high performance aircraft would be unflyable if that delay was more than a few milliseconds.<br /><br />Could be a mix of techniques as used on the Mars rovers. "Move 30 meters over there without falling in a crater" could be handled autonomously.

L

logicize

I would guess several milliseconds in addition to transmission time. In a modern processor, you can execute a vast number of instructions in under a second.

J

j05h

Using modern microprocessors, the proper method for teleoperating lunar hardware from Earth is to build a paced delay loop into the controls. To the operator it would appear that everything is moving in slow-motion. The vehicle and it's controls would be timed to "smooth out" the reaction delays, including autonomous start-stop and safety controls. <br /><br />Josh <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div align="center"><em>We need a first generation of pioneers.</em><br /></div> </div>

D

deapfreeze

I think the outpost would be the best option. The reasoning here is that you can always add on in the future. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font size="2" color="#0000ff"><em>William ( deapfreeze ) Hooper</em></font></p><p><font size="1">http://deapfreeze-amateur-astronomy.tk/</font></p><p> </p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.