question about hubble

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

justchrisfornow

i have one of those 'what if' questions, of which i'm sure we've all had millions. im just an average (not genuis by any means, so go easy on me) guy that had a question about how the hubble can view images so far away, they are actually viewing images from light sources of long ago. i've been wondering, why couldnt we design a type of 'mirror' device we could launch away from our earth. if it traveled far enough away from earth, and it was pointed directly at earth, and we viewed it with the hubble telescope, couldnt we see our earth as images from the past? like our continents drifting apart? i only wondered about a couple issues with this. maybe we couldnt get the mirror to travel far enough away in our lifetime, or its just a dumb idea altogether. does anyone have any thoughts on this?

M

Mikus_Americanus

Wouldn't this require the mirror to travel away from earth at a speed faster than light?

J

justchrisfornow

if thats true, so much for that idea. i'm not bummed though, i put this post in here to make sure my idea wasnt a good one. if we were capable of light speed travel we probably would be busy with a ton of other ideas instead of this one. oh well. back to the drawing board.

Status
Not open for further replies.