Question about OGLE-2005-BLG-169lb

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

willpittenger

How does the newly discovered rocky giant (OGLE-2005-BLG-169lb) compare with gas giants from our solar system in the diameter, mass, and gravitational strength categories? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

Q

qso1

If I remember correctly, I think the diameter was Uranus or Neptune sized. I couldnt find info on mass and gravitational strength. Found the links below:<br /><br />http://vo.obspm.fr/exoplanetes/encyclo/catalog.php<br /><br />http://vo.obspm.fr/exoplanetes/encyclo/star.php?st=OGLE-05-169L <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

Q

qso1

Thats probably about right. Uranus being a gassy world on the face of it (No pun intended). If there is any rock to Uranus or this exoplanet. Its probably fairly small surrounded by all that atmosphere which would tend to make the mass value rather small. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

N

newtonian

qso - From "The World of Science," 1991, Volume 7, p. 35:<br /><br />"Planet geologists think that Uranus has an iron-silicate core of about three earth masses which is somewhat larger than the Earth itself."<br /><br />Then, of course, there is a mantle - perhaps of frozen (or partly liguid) water, ammonia and methane and a deep atmosphere of hydrogen, helium and methane.<br /><br />Updates based on more recent discoveries are welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts