Question(s) about Milky Way and Arcturus

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fallingstar1971

RE: http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stories/s1568599.htm

Now I dont know how much credibility to put behind said story, but my question is this:

If Arcturus IS from another galaxy, and its only 37 lys away, AND our Sun is native to THIS galaxy, then could it be postulated that at some point in the not-so-distant past (cosmological past mind you) that the Earth had a ring side seat to a galaxy collision?

Could this have parked a super massive black hole in our neighborhood as well? Or would that have quickly migrated to the center of the milky way?

And finally, could these Galactic collisions "seed" star clouds with heavier elements like supernovas do? Could their own 2cnd or 3rd generation star clouds mix with clouds from a younger galaxy creating the illusion that the younger galaxy is older than it appears?

Star

T

thnkrx

Galaxies are cannibles; the bigger a galaxy is, the more small galaxies it has 'eaten'. Arcturus could very well be a remnant from such a devoured galaxy.

F

Fallingstar1971

I suppose that it would even be possible for our heavy elements to have floated in with Arcturus and "seeded" our solar systems molecular cloud. The energy from the collision could have compressed the cloud touching off the Sun.

We could owe our entire existence to this one stars host galaxy, as it died, the Sun was born!

Of course much smarter people than me say it was a supernova that caused it, so chances are the supernova is what really happened, but still, I suppose it could be possible.

Star

Status
Not open for further replies.