Questions about Uranus

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

absolutezero

I have some questions about Uranus. From JPL's website it says that Uranus has no solid surface, however later on they say the following: <font color="yellow"> The bulk (80 per-cent or more) of the mass of Uranus is contained in an extended liquid core consisting primarily of 'icy' materials (water, methane, and ammonia), with higher-density material at depth. </font><br /><br />So what does this mean exactly? This means its not completely solid, so what would an 80% material be like? Like a thick, muddy substance?<br /><br />My next question would be since Uranus is titled on its side, if there were a solid surface that an astronaut could land on and walk on, would there be any difference walking on the surface then it is walking on a planet that is not on its side or would the astronaut not be able to tell a difference?

V

vogon13

The idea they are trying to get across is that the deeper you go down into Uranian atmosphere the 'thicker' it gets. Due to rising temps and enormous pressures at the depths you might find interesting for your 'astronaut walkies' the astronaut would be pulped and parbroiled.<br /><br />Assuming an astronaut could survive, he would find the gravitational gradient 'normal'.<br /><br />Like the people in Australia do.<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

Q

qso1

vogon13<br />Like the people in Australia do. <br /><br />Me:<br />And those on the Earths poles.<br /><br />As for surface, its hard to actually visualize what an 80% hard surface would be like. Muddy, slushy maybe, we won't know until we can send a probe. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts