Quiz: Apollo astronaut or Pro Golfer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CalliArcale

Mental Floss has some awesome out-of-left-field quizzes sometimes, and this one's pretty cool for a space geek. They have a list of twelve people who are either Apollo astronauts or lesser-known pro golfers. I got 12 out of 12 simply by clicking "Apollo Astronaut" if the name sounded familiar. ;-)

So, test your space geekery!

Apollo Astronaut or Pro Golfer?

Amazingly, no mention is made of Alan Shepherd's lunar golf shot. And, rather distressingly, it asks "Can you pick them out from another group composed largely of semi-obscure white men—lower-ranked professional golfers?" This implies that Apollo astronauts, apart from Armstrong and Aldrin, are obscure. While true, it seems kinda sad. It's not like there are a lot of them.

M

MeteorWayne

12 of 12 of course; anyone my age and being a space geek who doesn't recognize the Apollo astronaut names need to be thunked in the head. :)

S

Smersh

I guess I'm now incorporated into the Geekdom Hall of Fame too. I'm afraid I got 12/12 correct as well. :ugeek:

O

onesmallstep

I love this lead in to the quiz:

"Twelve men walked on the moon, ending with the Apollo 17 flight in 1972, but many of their names have floated off into anonymity. Can you pick them out from another group composed largely of semi-obscure white men...."

It's not just sad it also sounds racist. BTW, for some of us their names have not "floated off into anonymity", but are highly respected and revered. It is also a sad commentary on the priorities of the American public that the names Michael Jackson, Brittany Spears, and Paris Hilton are more recognizable than names like Pete Conrad, Dave Scott, or John Young. :(

S

Smersh

onesmallstep":1y2tujm4 said:
... It is also a sad commentary on the priorities of the American public that the names Michael Jackson, Brittany Spears, and Paris Hilton are more recognizable than names like Pete Conrad, Dave Scott, or John Young. :(

I agree it's sad onesmallstep, but unfortunately it's a fact of life for which the media are largely to blame imo. A "story" about Paris Hilton etc is always going to get much more coverage than one about Apollo astronauts or any other very worthy people.

M

MeteorWayne

What does your post have to do with the subject of the discussion?

I am beginning to suspect you are a spammer/troll.

B

BrianBoru

It's called a quiz, try and keep up.

quiz 1 |kwiz|
noun ( pl. quizzes )
a test of knowledge, esp. a brief, informal test given to students.
verb ( quizzes, quizzed , quizzing ) [ trans. ] (often be quizzed)
ask (someone) questions : four men have been quizzed about the murder.
• give (a student or class) an informal test or examination.
ORIGIN mid 19th cent.(as a verb; originally U.S.): possibly from quiz 2 , influenced by inquisitive .

At the end of a Quiz you receive a grade. Typically a letter grade or a numerical percentile.

I really can't explain it better than that. If you take it, you'll understand.

M

MeteorWayne

Since there was no quiz, I still dont know what your purpose is.

So far, my comments have been as a user, not a moderator.

That can change....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts