Re-entry

Page 3 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

scottb50

We have the equipment in place in Florida and mostly complete in California. Where did you come up with docking in midair? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

W

willpittenger

First, the equipment you mentioned is for the STS system -- not anything in the future like the TSTO systems being discussed. Second, I considered -- and quickly rejected -- mid-air docking for the Challenger-class shuttle system. I had not thought of docking underneath the mother craft like Rutan did. (His system probably still needs some non-flying equipment like a small crane, but conceivably you could just wheel the two craft together and watch them connect. That would be like a Caterpillar IT-series wheel loader picking up a tool.) <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

S

scottb50

First, the equipment you mentioned is for the STS system -- not anything in the future like the TSTO systems being discussed....<br /><br />Why not? Why recreate the infrastructure when you can adapt to it? The Shuttle uses the VAB originally built for Saturn. Insisting on a completely clean sheet of paper design would just add to the cost in both money and time.<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

W

willpittenger

My point was that the equipment in place would at least need to be retooled. Sure, the VAB and both pads were changed to support STS. However, we spent quite a bit of money to make that conversion. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

S

scottb50

The leaning tower was started in 1173 and still stands. Why can't something built 40 years ago last at least as long? Then there are the pyramids exponentially older and still standing. Why reinvent the wheel when you build a new car? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

L

lysol

Hi folks,<br /><br />Im playing a game called "Rise". It was developed by a simulator buff and I keep screwing up on the re-entries.<br /><br />Basically I was wondering if i could get some help with calculating trajectories and some pointers on how best to come screaming into the atmosphere in an aero-braking maneuver. <br /><br />Lets see...the space craft is a monster as far as power...producing nearly 2 million newtons of thrust in six directions. And the most common re-entries are from 938 km MSL and 3000 km MSL<br /><br />Atmosphere starts at about 70km msl. Let me know what other data I would need.<br /><br />sooo was wondering if i could get a little bit of education...on how to solve those problems and nabbing the right trajectory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts