Rectangular Building on the Moon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fomalhautian

Forgive me in advance if this has already been discussed. So I was doinking around Youtube watching all the juicy conspiracy theories (I know, I should be ashamed) and I came across this. This guy posted a link to the Clementine Lunar Image Browser 1.5 with instructions to click "1 pixel = 1 KM", then put the image size as 768x768, and lastly use -2 for the latitude and 311 for the longitude.

If all is done right, you should end up here:

http://www.cmf.nrl.navy.mil/cgi-bin...mit=Use+Lat%2FLong&sensor=UVVIS&filter=415_nm

My questions are as follows..... is this some type of building on the moon that the air-brushers missed? Is it a natural formation? If it is natural, what caused it's creation? Could this be an older orbiter that bit the dust? I'd like to know what others here think of this photo.

B

Bill_Wright

My guess it is an imaging artifact or something added post-imaging, but who knows?
-- Bill

A

aphh

If it is a patch to cover an interesting feature, atleast the patch is so large, tens of kilometers from one side to another, that with a good telescope you could try to have a look at the region to see if there's anything there.

Ofcourse the patch could be large and the feature it covers small, so even a large telescope might not reveal anything of interest from Earth.

M

MeteorWayne

Just to be clear, the definition (which Buzz is well aware of) is:

A monolith is a geological feature such as a mountain, consisting of a single massive stone or rock, or a single piece of rock placed as, or within, a monument. Erosion usually exposes the geological formations, which are most often made of very hard and solid metamorphic or igneous rock.

D

dangineer

Ha ha! I make models of Devil's Tower every time I eat mashed potatoes! Stephen Spielberg is a genius.

It's very interesting that the sides of the rectangle are exactly parallel with the sides of the image frame and the vertical lines appearing in the images. I think it's obvious the vertical lines are artificial side affects, since they would be easily seen from any telescope.

The rectangle also doesn't appear in any other images of the moon on the internet. I'm pretty sure it's not really there.

A

abq_farside

dangineer":34nffe5y said:
The rectangle also doesn't appear in any other images of the moon on the internet. I'm pretty sure it's not really there.

So your saying they missed one image before releasing it to the public?
:D

M

mental_avenger

Notice that the rectangular artifact is “flat” (2D), while everything else is in perspective (3D).

T

TimeDog

i love it when people find what appear to be structures on other bodies in the sky. however i dont think any of them are really structures other then ones made by nature and a trick of the light. besides, this rectangle would but huge.

where exactly is this one the moon? id like to take a look :cool:

S

Shpaget

Wow, that really looks like some kind of complex. It's really rectangular... with that entrance/airlock looking thing on the left side and a separate building nearby.
If it wasn't insanely huge, it would be good material for conspiracy theories.
I measured it to be 45 x 30 kilometers, so whatever it is it's either just an artifact or it's not man made. OMFG aliens have a Moonbase :eek:

Does anybody have a telescope capable of seeing that? Now that you know how large it is.

Here's what I think that is. It's a photo that is out of it's place. When the entire picture was being put together, someone wasn't doing his/her job well.

M

MathalomuleM31

glitch in the photagraphy...thats why nasa airbrushes pics before releasing them. they must have missed this one, :| big whoop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts