Status
Not open for further replies.

8603103a

one day,the sun will expand,our earth will in danger 50 billions later

M

MeteorWayne

Re: how to bomb apophis

Welcome to space.com.

You have some serious misunderstandings.

It most likely will not crash into earth. Currently the odds are about 1 chance in 45,000.

The size you gave is incorrect, it is estimated to be only aboput 270 meters across.

In 2036, we will no longer have the space shuttle. (The shuttle program ends in 2010)

Nuclear weapons can not obelarate (sic) Apophis. Too small.

In any case, with the speed of Apophis approaching earth, it will take 25 seconds to impact the surface from the height if the ISS. Oh,and by the way, it is quite likely the ISS will be gone by then as well. Even if you do manage to break it into pieces, all of those pieces will hit the earth and the damage effect would be substantially the same. If further observations show a higher risk, the better thing to do is to gently change it's orbit far enough in advance that it will miss the earth entirely. Radar observations in 2013 should help define that risk more precisely.

Wayne

V

vogon13

Few more concerns:

What kind of upper stage gets you accurately from ISS to Apophis ??

What kind of terminal guidance and detonator gets the nukes to the right spot at the right time and safely detonates them ??

I am unaware of any secondary pad structure on ISS to handle the launch.

Outer Space Treaty (of 1967 IIRC) most likely prohibits launching nukes on shuttle.

As for launching nukes on shuttle, do you recall what happened to Challenger ??

Is the ISS orbit in the proper plane for an efficient trajectory to Apophis ??

What's the fail safe plan for the nukes if they miss ?? Do they come back to earth ??

Is Apophis a more or less solid rock, or an aggregation of ruble ?? Makes quite a difference in the size of nuke you want to use.

Shuttle launches can slip due to weather, equipment and airspace violations, how far ahead of time do you launch the shuttle, and what do they do with the nuke on the ISS while they wait to launch it ??

What happens if the ISS gets nailed by debris from an Iridium communication satellite or a progress resupply ship ??

What's it cost to keep the ISS (and the shuttle) running till Apophis comes close ??

What kind of nuke do you want to use ?? US?? Soviet era black market cheapie ?? French bombe le neutron ?? Some Israeli doomsday jobber ??

Seems like this all needs worked out just a bit more before we pony up any $$$$$$$ for this scheme.

8603103a

Re: meteorwayne's post

i take some data from wikipedia.org,so it will not be wrong.
i am only 13 years old,i make the "how to bomb apophis" post is only a proposal only

M

MeteorWayne

Everything in the wikipedia article agrees with what I said, not with what you said.

S

Saiph

....Okay, something odds going on here. The opening post doesn't fit the replies. Either something got scrambled, or 8603103a changed the text of the opening post (and the title).

- - - MOD HAT ON - - -
If you have changed the opening post and title, please refrain from doing so as it only sows confusion on the forums. If you wish to discuss a different topic, please begin a new thread, or bring the subject up in an already existing (and appropriate) thread.

Thanks!

- - - MOD HAT OFF - - -

M

MeteorWayne

Either the OP doesn't know better, or didn't like the answers on the previous subject and needed a new disaster du jour :)

M

MeteorWayne

Since it is no longer related to the original subject, I'm closing this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts