Relative Size of Sun

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lightfront

<p>I'm wondering if anyone could estimate the apparent size of the sun from different planets in the solar system, i.e., the sun appears 300% as large on Mercury as it does on Earth.&nbsp; I am especially curious about the relative size from Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn.</p><p>Thanks </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

D

derekmcd

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I'm wondering if anyone could estimate the apparent size of the sun from different planets in the solar system, i.e., the sun appears 300% as large on Mercury as it does on Earth.&nbsp; I am especially curious about the relative size from Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn.Thanks <br /> Posted by lightfront</DIV></p><p>Here's an angular size calculator:</p><p>http://www.1728.com/angsize.htm</p><p>Just enter the diameter of the sun and distance from whatever planet.&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div> </div><br /><div><span style="color:#0000ff" class="Apple-style-span">"If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing." - Homer Simpson</span></div> </div>

D

derekmcd

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Here's an angular size calculator:http://www.1728.com/angsize.htmJust enter the diameter of the sun and distance from whatever planet.&nbsp; <br /> Posted by derekmcd</DIV></p><p>I won't vouch for it's accuracy, but it seems pretty close.&nbsp; I got 32 arcminutes for the sun from the earth.&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div> </div><br /><div><span style="color:#0000ff" class="Apple-style-span">"If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing." - Homer Simpson</span></div> </div>

L

lightfront

<p>Great, thanks a lot!</p><p>Based on that, I came up with these numbers (using semi-major axis):</p><p>Mercury--2.58<br />Venus--1.38<br />Earth--1.00<br />Mars--0.656<br />Jupiter--0.192<br />Saturn--0.104<br />Uranus--0.052<br />Neptune--0.033<br />Pluto--0.025 </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts