Reminds me of Skylab crash. I have a piece of it..

May 9, 2021
Visit site
The Chinese uncontrolled deorbit off the Arabian peninsula reminded me of my little piece of Skylab. I live in Western Australia where it landed - what was left of 80 tonnes of it.
A large chunk, several feet across, landed in a semi arid area. I think this was than taken in an open trailer to Kalgoorlie and put on display there in 1979. My father was working there as a school principal. He broke off a small piece of fibreglass and later gave it to me. I still have it (somewhere) and I had it on a display for a science show at my home some 5 years ago along with photos.
What triggered my interest was that I saw that piece of Skylab had turned up as a display in the Gravity Discovery Centre in Gingin, Western Australia, as a display a couple of years ago which is 40 years later.
As an aside, I have some displays of mine at that Centre which include magnetic levitation (technically suspension) and Ferrofluid.
One of my displays had a space connection. This was a "lifter" which is a high voltage (30kV) driven ion drive that can lift a very flimsy balsa craft. Same as other ion drives like Deep Space, Starlink etc. They use on board Xenon/Krypton and I use air.
Those were the days .....

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.
The Day Skylab Crashed to Earth: Facts About the First U.S. ...
https://www.history.com › news › the-day-skylab-crash...

11 Jul 2012 — The imminent crash of Skylab midway through 1979 coincided with Americans' declining confidence in their government. The stagnant economy ...

40 Years Ago, NASA's Skylab Space Station Fell to Earth ...
https://www.space.com › skylab-space-station-fall-40-y...

11 Jul 2019 — Forty years ago today (July 11), NASA's defunct Skylab space station came crashing back to Earth, dropping big hunks of hardware into the ...

Cat :)

Reactions: ThePatriotBeast
May 9, 2021
Visit site
Here are the photo's. My father took the trailer shot probably in 1979, gave the photo and specimen to me in 2005. I took the fibreglass specimen photo in 2011.
I cant recall whether it was from a heatshield or a tank but I'm not sure if they had composite overwrapped pressure vessels (COPD) then.
I should run the Geiger counter over it although there was said to be nothing radioactive in Skylab. Just like there is no radioactivity in your microwave oven or smoke detectors, glowing tritium keyrings, Fiestaware salt shakers, radium watches, ilmenite in the ground.

Oops. Can't import photos from my computer. I didn't put these photos on my website as I didn't "make" them.

If anyone can tell me how to import from my computer please do. I don't want to put it on another 3rd party app just to put it here.

Peter

May 9, 2021
Visit site
I have done thousands of forum posts and most of them had photos. While my websites have about 3000 photos it is often not a problem to pull down from my site, For a new rapid post with a specific photo or news I didn't create then this makes it difficult. I don't want to double handle photos and learn a new program.

Thanks for the fix but not for me, I think.

Before I leave this post. There was an anecdote that a ranger from Esperance fined NASA $AU400 for littering. I don't think NASA paid up.
I am going to Esperance in 2 weeks and might pop in to the museum where there is apparently some of the Skylab debris there.

Please help me. Which area/topic do I need to set up a post about sending communications to the ISS? Long with many photos and diagrams.

Wolfshadw

For the record, Space.com does not allow for hosting of images. In order to post an image here, you would need to upload it to an image hosting site (such as the aforementioned imgur.com) and the post the link here.

Wolfshadw

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.
Please Mr Moderator, Sir. May I ask for clarification? When you say "does not allow for hosting of images" does that mean we cannot post (legal) images via Imgur etcetera, or is it that the facility is not directly available? The second part, I think, could be interpreted as allowing the link, but not the image.

I think images can be legally posted, but I am just checking so as not to break the rules.
Yours respectfully,

Catastrophe :)

Wolfshadw

Sorry for any confusion. Space.com does not currently function as an image hosting site. You may upload images to your preferred image hosting site and provide links, here in your posts. The ability to upload images directly to Space.com is not available.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Yes. Visible images are ok

When I post an image here, I'll upload it to imgur.com. Once it's there, I'll right-click the image and select "open image in a new tab" (Firefox). I'll then copy the address from the address bar of the new tab and paste that into IMG tags here.

-Wolf sends

Reactions: Catastrophe
May 9, 2021
Visit site
Thanks guys but 22,000 followers of mine on G+ felt otherwise about 1000+ direct from computer photo containing posts.

It a deal-breaker for me to triple process photos.

Since the G+ group are defunct, perhaps they were wrong.

My ISS project discussion can go elsewhere. Or my published comet photos, Old news anyway, I guess.

Peter

Latest posts