RING AROUND THE MOON

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jasonpply

Wow last got to see something i never saw before. A magnificant ring around the moon pretty impressive. Anyways anyone else see this. if i were to guess looks like some icey particles rflecting the light of the moon. pretty cool either way.

S

Saiph

I believe the typical phrase used for that is a "Moon Dog"...and a google search with that term does bring up images with rings around the moon. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#c0c0c0"><br /></font></p><p align="center"><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">----</font></em></font><font color="#666699">SaiphMOD@gmail.com </font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">-------------------</font></em></font></p><p><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">"This is my Timey Wimey Detector.  Goes "bing" when there's stuff.  It also fries eggs at 30 paces, wether you want it to or not actually.  I've learned to stay away from hens: It's not pretty when they blow" -- </font></em></font><font size="1" color="#999999">The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

W

weeman

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Wow last got to see something i never saw before. A magnificant ring around the moon pretty impressive. Anyways anyone else see this. if i were to guess looks like some icey particles rflecting the light of the moon. pretty cool either way. <br />Posted by jasonpply</DIV><br /><br />I believe it is ice crystals in the air. Do you live somewhere where it's really cold? Typically it happens when it's very cold and the air is very clear. </p><p>Another similar phenomenon is a "sun pillar". Search for pictures of those, they're pretty amazing! Of course, they're only common in sub-zero temperatures, like 20 below! </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><strong><font color="#ff0000">Techies: We do it in the dark. </font></strong></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>"Put your hand on a stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with that special girl for an hour and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.</strong><strong>" -Albert Einstein </strong></font></p> </div>

B

billslugg

<p>Rings around the moon can occur anywhere at any time. All you have to do is get enough moisture up high enough. Here is South Georgia a ring around the sun or moon can be a sign that a hurricane is on the way. In the winter here, I can probably spot some form of ice crystal optical phenomena about once a week. Very rare in the summer here though. Just last Friday I spotted circumzenith arc. It was associated with the front that tore up the CNN center in Atlanta.</p><p>Bill Slugg&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p> </p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Rings around the moon can occur anywhere at any time. All you have to do is get enough moisture up high enough. Here is South Georgia a ring around the sun or moon can be a sign that a hurricane is on the way. In the winter here, I can probably spot some form of ice crystal optical phenomena about once a week. Very rare in the summer here though. Just last Friday I spotted circumzenith arc. It was associated with the front that tore up the CNN center in Atlanta.Bill Slugg&nbsp; <br />Posted by billslugg</DIV></p><p>There are two rings that can form depending in whether they are formed by water droplets or ice crystals.</p><p>For a fun introduction to atmospheric optics, spend a few hours wandering around this site: I go back every once in a while just for the fun of it!</p><p>http://www.atoptics.co.uk/<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts