Rocket Racing League

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rocketracingleague

Hey everyone,<br /><br />I've been looking through the site and believe this is a good place to get feedback (ideas, opinions, etc) and find others that have the same interests. I work for a company called the Rocket Racing League. <br /><br />Here's a quote from the website, <br /><br />"The Rocket Racing League™ is an aerospace sports and entertainment organization that combines the competition of racing with the excitement of rocketry. The RRL was established by X-Prize founder Peter Diamandis and two-time Indianapolis 500 champion team partner Granger Whitelaw to advance the technology and increase public awareness of space travel. The NASCAR-style racing league features rocket-powered aircraft that will be flown by top pilots through a 'three-dimensional track way' at venues throughout the world."<br /><br />I'd really like to know peoples' opinons on the RRL; whatever they may be. I noticed that there have been a few posts already made on the RRL, that's great! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask- I will be on here often. You can check out the website: www.rocketracingleague.com <br /><br />I don't want you to assume this is an ad- I want feedback and a fun discussion if anyone is willing to offer. Hope to talk to all of you soon.<br /><br />Courtney<br />Communications<br />Rocket Racing League<br /><br />If you would like a free DVD, send you name and address to:<br />info@rocketracingleague.com

J

j05h

Rocket racing is a great idea, welcome to the site! <br /><br />Is there going to be a flight test at the XPrize event this year?<br /><br />Josh <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div align="center"><em>We need a first generation of pioneers.</em><br /></div> </div>

R

rocketracingleague

Thank you for the welcome! <br /><br />Yes, we will have our exhibition flight at X Prize Cup in October this year. The first official racing season starts next year in July. <br /><br />One year in counting... <br /><br />Any plans on attending AirVentures in Oshkosh, WI? We'll be running our simulators, selling merch, having meet-n-greet time, and running an AWESOME contest.

W

webtaz99

I am very excited about RRL, not for the spectator sport part, but because it will drive technology. <br /><br />As I understand it, RRL will be similar to NASCAR in the sense that the competitors will be be trying to wring every bit of performance from their nearly-identical machines. That kind of micro-optimization should give us better and better small rocket engines, and some design features of them will translate to better and better big rocket engines. <br />And in this sense "better" includes cheaper to make, cheaper to fuel, easier to maintain, safer, more efficient, and many other things. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

J

j05h

I hadn't planned on going to AirVenture, but am planning on being at XPrize Cup. If i can make it to WI, I'll swing by the table! <br /><br /><br />Can anybody fly the simulator, or just pilot's demoing?<br /><br />Josh <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div align="center"><em>We need a first generation of pioneers.</em><br /></div> </div>

R

rocketracingleague

Quick update-<br /><br />We will not be bringing our simulators to Oshkosh. However, they are still on for X Prize Cup in October. Anyone will be able to use and play on the simulators that our pilots train on. <br /><br />Also, when the video game is finished next year, fans will have the opportunity to play the game and race the pilots in REAL time. You can participate in the actual race as it happens!<br /><br />Courtney<br />Communications<br />Rocket Racing League<br /><br />For a free DVD, send name and address to:<br />info@rocketracingleague.com

J

j05h

> Also, when the video game is finished next year, fans will have the opportunity to play the game and race the pilots in REAL time. You can participate in the actual race as it happens! <br /><br />OK, that is INNOVATIVE. That is the kind of lateral, creative thinking that will drive both gaming and space development. Will net-players be able to win prizes?<br /><br />Josh <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div align="center"><em>We need a first generation of pioneers.</em><br /></div> </div>

R

rocketracingleague

>>"Will net-players be able to win prizes?"<br /><br />Although I can not give you a for sure answer on that question, I can tell you that the idea has been brought up and discussed. So far it looks like that is the plan.

O

owenander

I'm curious as to how you would simulate the real pilots every move in a real time video game so the players could theoretically be racing against the real pilots themselves, any information on the technicalities of that?

J

j05h

I'm not sure how they'll handle it, however being able to participate in races could produce a new generation of very skilled pilots. Sounds great to me!<br /><br />I'm very excited about the RRL, it is the perfect way to announce to the world that rocketry is for everyone. <br /><br />Josh <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div align="center"><em>We need a first generation of pioneers.</em><br /></div> </div>

R

rocketracingleague

>>"I'm curious as to how you would simulate the real pilots every move in a real time video game so the players could theoretically be racing against the real pilots themselves, any information on the technicalities of that?"<br /><br />I sent the question to the VP of Tech and when I get a reply I will post it for you. Thats a good question!

R

rocketracingleague

OK, *drum role please* Here is what the VP of Tech told me about your question, <br /><br />"In general, geospatial time-varying metrics are captured for each X-Racer and sent to a ground processing station where the playing field is reconstructed in virtual space, in real time. Essentially the virtual X-Racers are driven by real data, in real time, and the remote player is inserted in the mix."<br /><br />Hope this helps, let me know if you want more info and/or have more questions.<br />

O

owenander

Wouldn't there be a delay from the ship, to the computer, to the internet, back to the player? It seems like the player would have a 5 second lag behind the 'real-time' race?

J

j05h

There has to be some amount of virtualization of actual racer's flights, clipping issues and the like. Anyway, you get to be the low-ping master.<br /><br />Josh <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div align="center"><em>We need a first generation of pioneers.</em><br /></div> </div>

P

publiusr

I have a BIG problem with ED Wright and his hit piece agaisnt the mega-module approach. I support Heavy-Lift--not insipid ME-163 Komets. If you want any kind of infrasturcture--you need HLLVs and that is perfect for NASA.<br /><br />If the alt.space frauds really believe in privatization--then refuse COTS money.<br /><br />I'm fed up with Griffin's enemies!

S

Swampcat

<font color="yellow">"I'm fed up with Griffin's enemies!"</font><br /><br />Maybe a therapist could help you with some anger management. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="3" color="#ff9900"><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong><em>------------------------------------------------------------------- </em></strong></font></p><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong><em>"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical. Unsuccessful rebellions, indeed, generally establish the encroachments on the rights of the people which have produced them. An observation of this truth should render honest republican governors so mild in their punishment of rebellions as not to discourage them too much. It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government."</em></strong></font></p><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong>Thomas Jefferson</strong></font></p></font> </div>

R

rocketracingleague

Hey everyone,<br /><br />The summer newsletter was just released today. If you're not on the mailing list, you can still read it at www.rocketracingleague.com. Our fan clubs will be launched shortly- stay tuned. Also, this next week we will be attending the Sci-Fi convention in Anaheim, CA; if you'll be there, make sure to stop by and say hello. If you have any questions, comments, ideas, etc. don't hesitate to let us know. <br /><br />

P

publiusr

"Maybe a therapist could help you with some anger management."<br /><br />I'm sure you would have a good list of therapists. Which ones do you use? <br /><br /><br />

N

n382af

Hello race fans!<br /><br />In case anybody is interested in RRL for X-Plane, click the link below to download a scenery package (Fictional) for designing, flying, and having fun with your custom rocket racer. There is a design manual included with the package, if you do not want to design your own aircraft, there are maybe a couple RRL racers in the download manager located on the same site.<br /><br />We hope to update the package soon before the RRL events begin!<br /><br />Enjoy!<br /><br />-m<br /><br />[edit] Apparently there is no interest in RRL for X-plane. :)<br /><br /><br />

S

Swampcat

Rocket Racing League Makes Progress

Rocket Racing League® (RRL®), the world’s first sports and game franchise based on competitions of piloted rocket-powered aircraft, has announced major milestones in the development of the Rocket Racer®, or X-Racer®, the rocket-powered aircraft being developed to compete in the Rocket Racing League. Test flights were conducted at the North Texas Regional Airport (NTRA), marking the first time in history where two private-sector manned rocket-powered vehicles were flown sequentially in the same day by one crew with common ground support equipment in the same airspace.

On April 24, 2010, the city of Tulsa and the Tulsa Air & Space Museum will host the first annual QuikTrip Air & Rocket Racing Show, which will feature exhibition flights by the Rocket Racing League (RRL). The event will take place at the Tulsa Air & Space Museum at the Tulsa International Airport on April 24, 2010. Tickets and additional information can be found at http://www.tulsaairshow.com.

V

vulture4

Another remarkable development in aeronautics and rocketry that NASA isn't involved in. I'm not aware the NASA has ever even tested a lox/kerosine rocket that could go through unlimited ignition cycles, let alone recognized why this is important.

E

EarthlingX

SDC: Rocket Racing Helmets Pass First Flight Test
posted: 09 April 2010
07:14 am ET

Pilots in a planned race among rocket-powered jets will steer along a virtual track in the sky by viewing the course through new custom-made helmets.

The helmets will be debuted during an upcoming exhibition flight for the competition, called the Rocket Racing League (RRL). The demonstration is planned for April 24 at QuikTrip Air & Rocket Racing Show in Tulsa, Okla.

Inside the visors, a display shows the 3-D virtual racecourse that pilots must navigate.

SDC : Rocket Racing League to Unveil New Air Hot Rod
By Denise Chow
Space.com Staff Writer
posted: 13 April 2010
04:34 pm ET

The Rocket Racing League, a competitive venture billed as NASCAR with rockets, is set to launch its 2010 World Exhibition Tour and debut a new X-racer rocket plane in a high-flying event.

The demonstration, set for April 24, is part of the planned QuickTrip Air & Rocket Racing Show in Tulsa, Okla.

"For this to be successful, it really has to be enthralling for the crowd," said Peter Diamandis, co-founder of the Rocket Racing League and founder of the X Prize Foundation, which offers cash prizes for technological feats. "Over the course of the next year, because we have the vehicles and the pilots, we're going to be trying different types of competitions."

E

EarthlingX

SDC : Rocket Racing League Unveils New Flying Hot Rod
By Denise Chow
SPACE.com Staff Writer
posted: 26 April 2010
04:17 pm ET

Two rocket-powered competitive aircraft took off together Saturday to showcase the Rocket Racing League's new aerial muscle machine as it kicks off a 2010 World Exhibition Tour.

The league unveiled its new Mark III X-racer rocket plane in the high-flying event, which was part of the QuikTrip Air & Rocket Racing Show in Tulsa, Okla. Beginning this year and stretching into 2011, the Rocket Racing League will conduct a series of demonstrations at air shows across the country.

These exhibitions are aimed at building up the league's fan base, in addition to perfecting operations and technologies before the league's official launch in 2012, said Ramy Weitz, CEO of the Rocket Racing League, who participated in a live webcast of the April 24 demo flights in Tulsa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts