Russian Kliper Space Plane Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kane007

It seems the design phase is now complete and the next stage - no details - has begun.<br /><br />Energiya Rocket and Space Corp is expecting it to enter service in 2015.<br /><br />SpaceDaily Link

J

josh_simonson

>Innovations in the project include massively increased cargo capacity and a tow-line unit,<br /><br />Is talking about how they separated the SM and created the parom?

V

vt_hokie

Isn't 2015 about 4 years later than they had recently planned for? Man, that's a long way off!

F

frodo1008

You have just been given one of the reasons for the current NASA CEV design! <br /><br />And the Russians are usually quite fast in their design and development cycles, but this is a relatively new and untried type of vehicle. <br /><br />NASA does not have that amount of time. The American people are NOT that patient. They actually want NASA to go somewhaere else other than LEO!<br />And do it soon! And at as little a cost as possible!<br /><br />Do you begin to understand? You are not unintelligent! At least from what I have been able to get from your other posts. Now, unlike some on these boards, niether are you either nasty or sarcastic also! <br /><br />I actually agree with some of your opinions, it is just that I can see where NASA really has no choice. And so they work with the best that they can.<br /><br />I am hopeful that eventually (with some research help from NASA and the far better funded military) that we will indeed have some kind of complete Horizontal Take-off and Landing type of Single Stage to Orbit type of LIfting Body craft (possibly as a result of space tourism and the type of craft that pure private interests will have to built and launch). Heck, I even want to see space elevators out to GEO! But the timing is somewhat off here! Even the Russians seem to realize this (and they really are the most realistic space faring nation)!

V

vt_hokie

I guess that's the reality of the situation, but it's a shame that we've backed ourselves into this corner by not developing a space shuttle successor sooner. Now, we have almost no choice but to go with the simplest, cheapest, and fastest path to a new vehicle.

K

kane007

Look at it this way - its only 9 years away. 2015 should be a good vintage: New Horizons arrival @ Pluto; Bepsi Colombo arrival at Mercury; Rosetta should be at its comet; a good chance of a Mars Sample Return; Europes Darwin mission may be underway.

T

themanwithoutapast

This press article is suspect. The second tender has not even begun and Energia is not the Russian Space Agency, rather one of the design bureaus who are bidding for the kliper project. (This is like Boeing stating when the first NASA astronaut will return to the Moon, rather than NASA making this statement.) More information and a schedule for the program's implementation is likely to be announced in April/May.<br /><br />With regard to the 2015 date, that refers to a fully implemented Kliper system. It does not contradict prior press releases, that normally said first launch 2012 and a full regular launch system replacing Soyuz in 2015.

D

digitalman2

Keep in mind, russia already has a simple, reliable vehicle for low-cost access to space. And if they develop Kliper and decide it isn't what they expected, they can keep working on it until they get it right, if they so choose. All the while, they will still have simple reliable low-cost access to space.<br /><br />Something we don't have. What we have is pretty amazing, but it is expensive and complicated. <br /><br />I am SOOOO LOOKING FORWARD to having simple reliable low-cost (providing they manage to control operational costs) access to space so NASA will have breathing room to get back to exploration and scientific research.<br /><br />Then they can do whatever futuristic engineering they want and when they come up with something simple and reliable enough to go into general use they can replace the CEV.

S

SpaceKiwi

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>NASA does not have that amount of time. The American people are NOT that patient. They actually want NASA to go somewhere else other than LEO!<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br />With respect frodo, from this distance it doesn't appear the 'American People' give a rat's backside one way or the other about human access to space.<br /><br />Certainly the American space community does, presumably because of practical reasons (industry, jobs, science & research returns), and philosophical reasons (humans & the USA specifically belong in space).<br /><br />And Congress certainly seems to have a current interest in it, although it is arguable that this is representative of real constituent opinion so much as motivated by a Congressional interest in maintaining the capability for 'prestige' reasons.<br /><br />One wonders whether many on Capitol Hill could argue the case forcefully for human spaceflight beyond the rather tenuous suggestion that the USA should be in space because it is the greatest country on Earth, and should be at least as capable as the other major players.<br /><br />Don't get me wrong, it's a perfectly reasonable position in philosophical terms. However, the rhetoric for CEV doesn't match the reality in my view. There is no 'burning' reason to try and get it built yesterday, save for the generic maxim 'the sooner the better'. For all strategic intents and purposes, the US is better served than anyone else with regards to land-based and space-based assets. Having human access to space adds little to the US's underlying position of strength. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em><font size="2" color="#ff0000">Who is this superhero?  Henry, the mild-mannered janitor ... could be!</font></em></p><p><em><font size="2">-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------</font></em></p><p><font size="5">Bring Back The Black!</font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts