Sailing downwind faster than the wind

Page 15 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vattas

spork":1uxkmhok said:
The only way to set prop pitch accordingly for this course would be to have a cyclic pitch that allowed each blade to change pitch over each rotation.
Turning whole rotor to be perpendicular to the wind won't do?

S

spork

vattas":3mtl97gs said:
spork":3mtl97gs said:
The only way to set prop pitch accordingly for this course would be to have a cyclic pitch that allowed each blade to change pitch over each rotation.
Turning whole rotor to be perpendicular to the wind won't do?

I considered that while I was typing that response. But I thought we were talking specifically about blade pitch. Turning the whole rotor head would solve at least the cyclic pitch problem, but I don't think it would be as efficient at making you go downwind fast in propeller mode. It would probably be more efficient however to do that when operating in turbine mode (going upwind for example). Without doing some basic analysis though I have to admit these are sort of guesses.

V

vattas

My guess is also that it would be less efficient when not directly downwind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts