Sand 'tendrils' at Meridiani may show evidence of liquid water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

exoscientist

Obviously this is going to add to the debate on the decision not to explore the dunes in Endurance crater:<br /><br />http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/status_opportunity.html<br /><br /><br />OPPORTUNITY UPDATE: Photo shows dune at Endurance crater may have<br />been formed by water. August 30, 2004<br /><br /><br />The highest resolution photos to date of the dune at Endurance crater, taken on<br />sol 207, shows small parallel ripples within the numerous compartments in the dune<br />as shown in the first photo below. These ripples are aligned in many different<br />directions indicating that wind is unlikely to be the source of their formation.<br />The second photo below shows similar small water ripples running along the large<br />dune tendril.<br /><br />Since the conditions on Mars make it improbable the source of the water is due to<br />weather, the water should be from the only other likely alternative, underground<br />thermal springs. A possible source of this water is indicated by the third photo<br />below, which shows what appears to be the remains of three small fumaroles<br />adjacent to the large tendril. This evidence helps to explain the unusual and<br />abundant hematite deposits at Meridiani Planum. According to Dr Jack Farmer<br />Director of the NASA funded Astrobiology Program at Arizona State University.<br />"This variety of hematite on Earth forms only in the presence of large amounts<br />of water, and typically at elevated (hydrothermal) temperatures."<br />http://geology.asu.edu/jfarmer/pubs/pdfs/morpho.pdf<br /><br />Dr Farmer helps explain why this new evidence has generated so much excitement.<br />"Hydrothermal systems may have provided favorable environments for the prebiotic<br />synthesis of organic compounds necessary for life and may also have been a site for<br />life's origin <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

T

thechemist

This is extremely interesting news, thanks exoscientist !<br />Could you fix the first link ?<br /><br />I can't find the original update on the JPL site.<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <em>I feel better than James Brown.</em> </div>

S

silylene old

--- deleted comments --- <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature" align="center"><em><font color="#0000ff">- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -</font></em> </div><div class="Discussion_UserSignature" align="center"><font color="#0000ff"><em>I really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function.</em></font> </div> </div>

T

thechemist

After I read the responses about the same post in another forum:<br /><br />http://www.habitablezone.com/space/messages/340643.html# <br /><br />I realized this is not an official JPL announcement, but a quite misleading post by exoscientist.<br /><br />Why do it ? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <em>I feel better than James Brown.</em> </div>

I

igorsboss

<font color="yellow">Possible fumaroles at Endurance</font><br /><br />I don't think so. I think they look like a couple of flat stones heaved by frost.

A

anoolios

Shame on you exoscientist for this intentionally misleading post. Had lunch with the "we will be leaving - exiting the crater" guy today?<br /><br />Stephen Squyres clearly stated at one of the NASA MER briefings that the dunes are wind-formed features.

E

exoscientist

Sorry, took it to be a news release.<br />Mea Culpa.<br /><br /><br /> Bob Clark <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

P

peteb

I think that it was a hoax post by "jonathan" on several Usenet groups (alt.sci.planetary; sci.astro. etc.). He posted as "Ron" with an email address very similar to Ron Baalke of JPL. who does post legitiment PRs.

T

thechemist

No problem exoscientist, it could happen to anyone.<br />Spaceref.com should be more careful than that.<br /><br />The only annoying thing is that we got fooled because we really wanted to believe the content !<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <em>I feel better than James Brown.</em> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts