Sat-biz article

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mikejz

Yeap. I remember someone comment that the launch business shoot themselves in the foot in the late 90's. When that Delta III blew up, it caused a transponder shortage in the country that moved a lot of broadcasters to digital. Digiital caused the oversupply of transponders that we currently see. <br /><br />As a former owner of C/Ku system i lothe digital. Anyone who enjoyed watching GE-1 during nightly news knows what I am talking about (I have on tape the current host of NBC nightly news cracking a dirty joke during an ad break in 2000!) <br /><br />I really wonder about GEO sats in terms of the cost of transponder time. If satellite time costs where lower, would demand really increase--i'm not sure. <br /><br />The big thing I would propose for a commersial venture would be a something have to do with low cost/portable SNG technology. Iraq proved the value of those 128kbps satellite phones, of course the live video sucked! <br /><br />If they could get something the size of a briefcase that could get 19.2mbps (HDTV). News would change in an amazing way!. <br /><br />I also see a little hope in a high-bandwidth store-and-foward LEO service. A person in a remote area could get a large file (5-10gb) to HQ in a few hours. <br /><br />All and all the main problem i see is that the commercial aspects of space currently seem limited very much to communications, and these communication services are mere extensions of ground based methods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts