Satellite megaconstellations are threatening astronomy. What can be done?

Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
"Can't duplicate in space the capabilities of major ground operations such as planetary defense"

Yeah I don't need my internet coming from space. I like not being struck by damacloids

Jan 10, 2020
Visit site
That's Elon Musk—a spoiled little rich kid with no concern for anything but personal glory. Who cares if he screws up astronomy?

Last edited by a moderator:
Settle this dispute the way all Americans settle disputes. Sue them. Sue the government, the regulating bodies and the companies putting these things up.
If their argument has merit, they should get a decent result. Maybe these companies should be forced to put up space-based telescopes to make up for the ground devices that can no longer be used or can only be used in a reduced capacity.

Mar 7, 2023
Visit site
I'll share again my comment on another Starlink article from March 17:

"Perhaps I'm missing some of the value of Starlink to human advancement and space exploration (if so, I'm all ears!) but I can't shake the thought that the "Starlink megaconstellation" is already marring the night skies for astronomers wanting to study actual, natural constellations. What will it look like after they add another 30,000 (!!) satellites and how will it impede more productive endeavors at and beyond the outer atmosphere? All humanity gets in return is super-fast global internet? 🤔

I've seen plenty of photos of Starlink and have a hard time seeing it as anything other than Elon Musk's sprawling celestial wi-fi router. Welcoming more informed inputs from the community here so i don't feel like such a Space Karen."

Yes, I've just quoted myself, but it's nice at least to see a shared opinion within the community. This could just be the tip of the iceberg.

May 5, 2023
Visit site
In case some people don't know, Starlink internet service has been a game changer for millions everywhere and especially in remote areas providing reliable high-speed internet access, allowing them to learn and study online and their families to be connected. Tell me how ground-based astronomy has been a game changer for millions, improving their lives and giving them anything to better their lives!!!! If ground-based astronomy is so concerned, how about leveraging new tools like AI to compensate? All satellite tracks are known (time, position, speed, direction etc.). Figure it out instead of whining. I can still enjoy the wonders of a starry night with my telescope, and when I see the satellites flying by, I am happy, since they remind me that they allow me to send this post to the forum!

Apr 18, 2020
Visit site
Satellites should be required to have a band or coating of a material with a distinct spectral signature in its reflection. Telescopes could be fitted with software that would detect that spectral signature and cancel the track of any moving object that shows it.

Beyond that, for the sake of naked-eye contemplation of the night sky, and other non-computerized observation, satellites should be coated as completely as possible with a coating that is minimally reflective in visible light.

Reactions: billslugg
"... a material with a distinct spectral signature..."
Yes, we used to have sodium street lighting, easily filtered out. But now with LED's the entire spectrum is emitted. I bet the recent detection of a sodium tail from Mercury was made possible only by the demise of sodium street lighting.

Reactions: Unclear Engineer
Nov 20, 2019
Visit site
In case some people don't know, Starlink internet service has been a game changer for millions everywhere and especially in remote areas providing reliable high-speed internet access, allowing them to learn and study online and their families to be connected. Tell me how ground-based astronomy has been a game changer for millions, improving their lives and giving them anything to better their lives!!!! If ground-based astronomy is so concerned, how about leveraging new tools like AI to compensate? All satellite tracks are known (time, position, speed, direction etc.). Figure it out instead of whining. I can still enjoy the wonders of a starry night with my telescope, and when I see the satellites flying by, I am happy, since they remind me that they allow me to send this post to the forum!
your "game changer" point is literally a "game changer" point, because the only advantage of million staellites garbage in low orbit instead of three big satellites in geostationary orbit is only useful for zero latency applications, aka very stupid first person shooter videogames

Reactions: billslugg

Latest posts