saw something this morning, maybe satilite reentry

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am in California, this morning 8-12-06 at around 5:00 am, I saw a orange light in the sky, off in the distance I thought was maybe an aircraft, after watching it for a bit ( it was slow moving) a saw a very small orange piece drop straight down from it towards the ground, then another larger piece fell from it again straight down, this one sparked on the way down and made a crackling noise, it appeared to drop all the way to the ground, after waking my wife up we both went into the back yard and watched the large orange object move slowly across the sky then the whole thing just dropped straight down out of the sky and I couldn't see where it hit do to the tree and house next to us blocking the view of the eastern horizon, I have seen nothing on the news and can't find anything on line, does anyone have an idea what I saw?

V

vogon13

Sound travels roughly a mile every 5 seconds. From the delay of the sound to the events you saw, you should have a pretty good idea of how far away the object was.<br /><br />If the object was 50 miles away, for instance, the delay would be on the order of 250 seconds. (over 4 minutes)<br /><br />Do you recall the delay being longer than that?<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

The first tiny peice I saw fall made no sound and looked like a pin head dropping out of the sky. I heard the sound maybe 5 seconds or so as the larger piece broke away, when the entire object fell about a minute or 2 later there was no sound, it just dropped straight out of the sky, the object also left no trail behind it as it moved throught the sky.

V

vogon13

Plane crash at nearby airport?<br /><br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

NO, it was no plane crash, The object made no noise as it moved though the sky, had no blinking lights on it and left no contrail, It was just a large orange light in the sky that moved slowly along then just dropped straight down towards the horizon.

L

larper

Many people who witness a meteor report a crackling sound. It is an illusion. The brain puts the sound there because it expects it to be there. You cannot hear a meteor. It is simply too far away. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong><font color="#ff0000">Vote </font><font color="#3366ff">Libertarian</font></strong></p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

That's not entirely true. There have been reports of what are called electrophonic meteors which produce sound from something that travels at the speed of light (i.e. some sort of electromagnetic phenomenon) They are rare and controversial. There was just a conversation on this in another thread, I'll see if I can find out which one.<br />The sonic boom from a meteor or the sound of it exploding would indeed take minutes to reach you<br />since sound travels at 1 mile per 5 seconds. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

One important aspect I forgot to mention was, when viewing this object, it was below the cloud cover that we had that morning. Does anyone have any idea what it could have been?

V

vogon13

Pretty deep in the atmosphere for a flaming re-entry . . . . .<br /><br />{unless it was huge}<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

Y

yevaud

Might have been in the process of skipping off the upper atmosphere. If it was a goodly ways away ("Slant Range"), it would appear near the horizon, explaining it's trajectory as described. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts