sci fi book

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jemmsc

I am looking for a book I read a long time ago. <br /><br />The story line was a culture where eack group spoke seperate languages. Each language was tailored to what was fucntion of the group. Fore example the warrior race had no word for peace. Only one group could translate all of the languages

A

a_lost_packet_

It sounds familiar. Could you elaborate? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1">I put on my robe and wizard hat...</font> </div>

J

jemmsc

The people who could translate all of the langs were in charge. The warrior race had no word for peace. There was also a race of scientist. The whole thing came crashing down.

A

a_lost_packet_

I'm not sure if this is it, but it is somewhat similar: http://www.amazon.com/Ambassador-Progress-Walter-Jon-Williams/dp/0812557891<br /><br />"Ambassador of Progress" ?<br /><br />The main character is a woman who is sent down to a planet in order to establish relations with the somewhat backwards, feudal society of the people. There is a culture on the planet that is entirely mercenary. They hire themselves out to various city-states. Within their society there is a very, very strict caste system that has some of the qualities you describe. They are separated into warriors, merchants, servants etc..<br /><br />It's probably not it, but it's the closest I can come to at the moment. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1">I put on my robe and wizard hat...</font> </div>

J

jemmsc

That actually sounds like it. I will see if I can get a copy thanks<br />

A

a_lost_packet_

You're welcome. I hope that's it. If not, we can try again. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1">I put on my robe and wizard hat...</font> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.