Science channel on Stars and Universe

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

newtonian

Just to let you all know that the Science channel is now airiing some very interesting broadcasts. <br /><br />Right now and again in 3 hours, and again...., is Universe 2001: Beyond the Millenium (1999) which discusses "How the Universe was created."<br /><br />In 2 hours is Cosmic Odyssey (2003) episode "Lives of Stars." Excellent Hubble photos are shown, including beautiful nebulae. Including the famous shot in the Eagle nebula where star forming regions are explored and discussed..<br /><br />In one hour and again.... Understanding episode "Asteroids" (2001) discusses near misses of earth by asteroids..<br /><br />The Science channel is channel 284 on DirecTV, it is also on Dish, etc. It was formerly one of the Discovery channels.<br /><br />I will post more after the cold front, or perhaps this afternoon if it gets to hot - we are expecting close to 80 degrees this afternoon here in South Louisiana, but freezing Friday morning with cold wind chills.<br /><br />Hope you enjoy the beautiful photography and interesting discussions.<br /><br />BTW - I have a more optimistic outlook for the future of our earth and universe than presented in these episodes -though alternate scenarios and hypotheses are aired.

N

newtonian

Two points on Cosmic Odyssey: <br /><br />Only less than 1% of water has been discovered in our galaxy than was expected.<br /><br />And Oxygen has not been found at all anywhere else in the galaxy! That is amazing to me - I had no idea!<br />It makes earth even more unique than was expected, what with Oxygen being the most abundant element in Earth's crust.

M

mooware

Yeah, Cosmic Odyssey runs every Tuesday night on the Science Channel. <br /><br /><font color="yellow">The Science channel is channel 284 on DirecTV, it is also on Dish, etc. It was formerly one of the Discovery channels"</font><br /><br />I believe it's been about 5 years now that the Science Channel split from Discovery. <br /><br /><font color="yellow">I have a more optimistic outlook for the future of our earth and universe than presented in these episodes <br /></font><br /><br />Optimism isn't a bad thing. But like people... The Sun will age and eventually die. It's only natural for it to do so.<br /><br /><br /><br />

M

mooware

<font color="yellow">Only less than 1% of water has been discovered in our galaxy than was expected</font><br /><br />One percent less than expected, or there is less than one percent in the galaxy? I thought water was the third most abundant molecule?<br /><br /><font color="yellow">And Oxygen has not been found at all anywhere else in the galaxy</font><br /><br />Really? Hmmm, I don't remember hearing that. Isn't water H20? Two parts Hydrogen one part Oxygen?<br /><br />Clouds of ionized oxygen appear in almost all directions and extend as much as 5,000 to 10,000 light years away from the plane of the Milky Way.<br /><br />There is Oxygen in the Orion nebula, there is oxygen in our sun. There's an oxygen rich supernova in the Large Megellanic cloud, as well as AGB Oxygen rich stars..<br /><br /><br /><br />Then there is this:<br /><br />http://www.science.psu.edu/alert/Park5-2003.htm<br /><br />

C

claywoman

Correct me here if I'm wrong but isn't oxygen a part of the Mars atmosphere? Not in the quantities here, but present? Also, I've just seen pictures of nebulas, I love the sheer beauty of nebulas, and if I'm wrong correct me again, but Oxygen is present on most of these also....

S

Saiph

Hmm, those claims seem fishy to me, expecially the oxygen claim.<br /><br />There may be some qualifier there though. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#c0c0c0"><br /></font></p><p align="center"><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">----</font></em></font><font color="#666699">SaiphMOD@gmail.com </font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">-------------------</font></em></font></p><p><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">"This is my Timey Wimey Detector.  Goes "bing" when there's stuff.  It also fries eggs at 30 paces, wether you want it to or not actually.  I've learned to stay away from hens: It's not pretty when they blow" -- </font></em></font><font size="1" color="#999999">The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

N

newtonian

Saiph - OK, I played back the statement. Yes, there was a qualifier:<br /><br />While that statement was made, it was also stated that molecular Oxygen was what they were looking for.<br /><br />That would be the O2 molecule.<br /><br />Carbon dioxide on Mars, CO2, would not be molecular Oxygen. Ditto water, H2O.<br /><br />OK, now Titan and the Huygens probe....

N

newtonian

eburacum45 - Thank you for the informative link. It clearly updates the aired program.<br /><br />Hubble discovered Oxygen on Osiris in 2004. Free Oxygen, free Hydrogen, free carbon.<br /><br />I suppose the extreme heat does not allow molecules to stay together?<br /><br />I know UV radiation separates the water molecule in earth's atmosphere by a process known as photolysis or photodissociation.<br /><br />Of course, 1,000 degrees C is way too hot for life as we know it.<br /><br />BTW, free Oxygen stops most reactions on chemical pathways to complex building blocks of life.<br /><br />BTW#2 - I don't believe in chemical evolution or abiogenesis. I feel observation backs biogenesis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts