Scientists locate likely origin for the dinosaur-killing asteroid

Interesting report. Other reports on this asteroid model too along with models indicating perhaps 10 mass extinction events over the past 260 million years using the geologic timescale.

HOW OFTEN DO CHICXULUB-LEVEL ASTEROIDS HIT EARTH?, https://skyandtelescope.org/astronomy-news/how-often-do-chicxulub-level-asteroids-hit-earth/, July 2021.

Earth's geologic 'pulse' happens every 27.5 million years, says study, https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/tech...s-says-study/ar-AALgmPf?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531, June 2021.

Reactions: Helio and sam85geo

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.
Here is a very interesting idea:

Encyclopaedia of the Solar System” Academic Press Ed Weissman, McFadden and Johnson.

Catastrophic collisions ultimately provide a new influx to the NEO population. The catastrophic disruption of a ~ 170-km-diameter MBA ~ 160 Myr ago led to the creation of the Baptistina family. Over time, dynamic processes (i.e., Yarkovsky Effect) changed the orbits of fragments produced in this collision such that they could strike the terrestrial planets. It has been suggested that one such fragment may have hit Earth and led to the extinction of the dinosaurs 65 Myr ago (K-T boundary

MBA = main belt asteroid

Thus collisions between asteroid family members in the main asteroid belt are (comparatively) numerous, and can send sizeable fragments into the inner Solar System.

The point is that "killer asteroids" do not have to be rarities from the outer SS, but can be produced at almost any time (relatively) close at hand

Cat :)

Reactions: sam85geo
Using the 27.5 m.y. periodicity suggests the Earth just might be over due for a "really big one". Conversely, considering that "killer asteroids" might just be produced at any time from MBA collisions should be a "wake up" call. At this juncture, I'll forgo my usual "rant and rave" about politicians being unprepared for astronomical extinction level events, having been mollified by two Guinness and a half bag of pretzels after cutting the lawn. But potential E.L.E.'s are worrisome.

Reactions: Catastrophe

Catastrophe

I am not generally the most optimistic of people, but I am gratified that sensors out of 'line of sight' with the Sun are now being adopted. My gripe was always that some of these LOS's were not being seen until they had already skimmed 'our' planet.

P.S. Maybe we should be pleased about the development of 'big bombs', but, of course, these are not the answer to all asteroid threads. In fact, in some cases, the only answer is 'get out quick'.

Last edited:
Cat: I just finished reading the reference; it's a really great and logically developed article. Thanks again. Of course, I would still feel "more comfortable" having "a shoot em down" capability which, yes, could cost an enormous amount to implement and safely maintain. But what can you expect from someone who likes banjo music and wears muddy boots.

Catastrophe

Here is another:

After analysis of data of 9,250 extinct life forms, there is evidence to indicate that massive extinctions of species have occurred once every 26 million years over the last 250 million years. ... On this basis the next mass extinction is due in 14.7 million years, more or less.31 Jul 2021
Recurring mass extinctions of species - The Encyclopedia of ...

I noticed that the last update to the reference was 31 July, 2021. A window for a generic extinction of 14.7my or at an inferred any time seems like bet hedging? However, I suspect that there will indeed be many, many more updates. On the other hand, I suspect that the reference is grist for the "save the world from climate change" mill. Nonetheless. the reference is a thought provoking perspective/analysis.

Last edited:

Catastrophe

sam85geo,
I am sorry that you are not very happy with my suggested reference. I am not an extremist, but I do believe we (humanity) are in danger of exterminating ourselves as well as much life on Earth.

Possibly the worst example I can quote is the reckless cutting down of the rain forests which (by photosynthesis) provide the oxygen we need to breathe, at the same time overpopulating with willing users of what oxygen will remain.

Cat :) :) :)

sam85geo,
I am sorry that you are not very happy with my suggested reference. I am not an extremist, but I do believe we (humanity) are in danger of exterminating ourselves as well as much life on Earth.

Possibly the worst example I can quote is the reckless cutting down of the rain forests which (by photosynthesis) provide the oxygen we need to breathe, at the same time overpopulating with willing users of what oxygen will remain.

Cat: My comment only reflects both my familiarity with and fear of the "generic warnings" about climate change. Your 2nd reference is appropriate and a stark warning that we as a species may just indolently commit ourselves to extinction. You are not an extremist by any means; (I am an extremist for my views on population control, politicians, businesses, border security, the growth of cities and ecological spaces preservation). I was not unhappy with the 2nd reference. I agree fully that cutting down the rain forests, especially in Brazil, is foolhardy, and that humans breeding beyond Earth's sustaining resources have become intractable problems which will lead to economic and biological chaos around ~2050ce. As a further example: in the past 3 years New York State has lost ~99% of its American Bumble Bee population; In 8 other states, the American Bumble Bee is gone. That little yellow and black, tame critter is iconic and a favorite of mine. My overall feeling is akin to being adrift with one oar.

Last edited:

Catastrophe

sam85geo,

I don't quite understand your comments about update. I quite often date even to the point of adding the time. This is mostly in the 'agreed' series, to indicate that something may be new since earlier the same day. I quite often update these incrementally like this.

I cannot see any great disagreement between us. I am very happy that you preferred my previous reference. (post #8). I did too.

sam85geo,

I don't quite understand your comments about update. I quite often date even to the point of adding the time. This is mostly in the 'agreed' series, to indicate that something may be new since earlier the same day. I quite often update these incrementally like this.

I cannot see any great disagreement between us. I am very happy that you preferred my previous reference. (post #8). I did too.

Cat: The 2nd reference was read by me as the "world ends" on 31 Jul, '21 which was based upon the reference's content update. Of course, I was trying to point out that the reference would be further updated by its originator. I wasn't referring to your updates which by the way are "spot on" and clarifying. E.G.: the Forbes article got me to review Fourier Transforms despite my mental cobwebs, and statistical correlation. BTW, I guess I'm a bit odd that I fear a "splat" from a space rock more than the steady creep towards chaos which at this time seems pervasive.

Catastrophe

sam85geo,

Sorry if I gave the wrong impression. I don't accept all the links I post. I try to give background, sometimes mention other viewpoints, generally help the discussion along.

If I have pointed you in interesting directions, then I am glad.

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
Cat: I just finished reading the reference; it's a really great and logically developed article. Thanks again. Of course, I would still feel "more comfortable" having "a shoot em down" capability which, yes, could cost an enormous amount to implement and safely maintain. But what can you expect from someone who likes banjo music and wears muddy boots.
Do you also play the banjo?

Latest posts