search your brains

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

steampower

and see if you supply us with the most comical Gaff in Sci-Fi, I will start the ball rolling, in Space 1999 they had helicopters flying about on the moon in one episode, so who can better that?.<br /><br />steampower

T

tap_sa

<font color="yellow">"they had helicopters flying about on the moon"</font><br /><br />Noooooooooo!!! On this board it is greatly haram (=forbidden, taboo) to discuss the Moon and helicopters in the same context .<br /><br /><br />And don't ask why, it'll unleash the beast...

Y

yevaud

Yes, and a movie being discussed in this forum - Independence Day.<br /><br />Umm, a Macintosh OS and an Alien computer technological generations ahead of us are compatible? So that David Goldblum could just "whip up" a virus?<br /><br />Holy Cormorant Guano, Batman, say it ain't so! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

V

vogon13

Bees pollinating corn in the X-Files movie.<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

V

vogon13

Breathable atmosphere on the lava planet where Anakin Skywalker gets burnt up.<br /><br /><br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

Y

yevaud

Ever notice when an alien on Star Trek speaks, we're to understand that they're actually speaking their language, and the translator turns it into English?<br /><br />Then why are their mouths forming English words? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

H

hracctsold

yeah,<br /><br />I liked Space 1999 as well. I also like the girl called, Maya, who had the lens that looked like cat eyes, and I think she was a shape changer as well. I'm told she went to a few places with those contacts and caused some stir when people looked into her face.<br /><br />But now, about helicopters flying in no atmospere(sp). It took me a second to realize, hey that's not right. It's late, and I'm not thinking on all thrusters.

D

derekmcd

Even better in the 2nd one... the sonic 'bombs' in space. Kinda cool on celluoid, but i still had to giggle at the fallacy. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div> </div><br /><div><span style="color:#0000ff" class="Apple-style-span">"If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing." - Homer Simpson</span></div> </div>

D

darth_elmo

Maybe the UT has a holographic/neuro-projector component. (Okay, I'm reaching. So what?)

D

darth_elmo

I believe that there's an axiom in computer science that any computer can be made to emulate any other computer. Besides, as far as we know, the universal language for computers is binary. And, when you get right down to it, all programming languages are shortcuts to simplify the binary coding.

D

darth_elmo

Shoot, you want fallacy? The original <i>Stargate</i> movie claimed that you need 7 coordinated to make a journey to any point in space/time. Six to determine destination and one "origin'. Bull! If you put aside the time question, you need 6: (x, y, z) for point of origin and (x2, y2, and z2) for the destination. If you include time, you have to add (t) for the origin time and (t2) for the destination time.<br /><br />That point destroyed the movie for me for years...until I realized I was taking myself <i>way</i> too seriously.

V

vogon13

In the series, V, the aliens were here to steal our water.<br /><br />In one episode, the aliens destroyed Europa, a satellite of Jupiter covered with at least 100 km of WATER !<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

V

vogon13

In the otherwise excellent movie, Crack in the World, instead just dropping a nuclear warhead down the borehole to the core of the earth, they used a rocket.<br /><br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

D

darth_elmo

***ERROR***ERROR***DANGER WILL ROBINSON***DANGER***<br /><br />The specific explanation gave by Daniel Jackson (as played by James Spader) was that, to travel in any three dimensional space, 7 co-ordinates were needed. He then proceeded to draw a 2-D representation of a cube on the whiteboard, drawing 6 points on the cube, one in the exact center of each side of the cube. He then connected these six dots, each to the one diametrically opposite to it (note the three axes formed by this). Then, to illustrated motion through the gate, Jackson draws a line from the center of the cube out to an origin point and claims that the origin is the seventh coordinate.<br /><br />Bull!! Even if they were using a single symbol for Terra, that symbol <i>incorporates the 3-coordinate system I described in my earlier post</i>. Further, if you incorporate the time factor, no single symbol could <i>possibly</i> describe any origin because there is no universal referent for time, and any single symbol used would necessarily be locked into the point at which the Stargate became operational. Otherwise, they'd have a clock on the bloody thing.

D

darth_elmo

Vogon, give them this much--at the time, no one was aware that there was water on Europa. You can't fault the writers for what scientists hadn't yet discovered.

V

vogon13

V was in the early 80s. Voyagers 1 and 2 both encountered Jupiter (and Europa) 1979.<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

D

darth_elmo

Sorry, don't buy it. Jackson was an Egyptologist; there was never anything that even <i>hinted</i> that he might be conversant in multi-dimensional physics. And regardless, the explanation is every bit as much technobabble as half of the explanations they routinely use on <i>Star Trek</i>.<br /><br />(And there is a clock on the computer at the phone company; that's why there's a time stamp on your caller ID. So yes, your phone does have a clock on it. Moreso if it happens to be a clockphone or cellphone.)<br /><br />No, we're not all rocket scientists, but I expect my intelligence to be respected and not to have the first hastily cobbled together answer hurled at me like the inner workings of a chamberpot.

D

dragon04

<font color="yellow">There is no symbol on your telephone for time either, but when you dial a number the other phone rings even though there is no clock in either phone.</font><br /><br />Techincally, that statement is a bit inaccurate, especially when one calls long distance.<br /><br />There are certain telephone Central Office switches that act as a "master clock" to synchronize signals transmitted over long distance lines (trunks).<br /><br />If you've ever been on a long distance call, and hear an "echo", that means that the sending and receiving CO's are not synchronized. If they are too far out of sync, the trunk will put itself out of service.<br /><br />There is little or no effect on local calls because the call processor at the CO is handling both ends of the conversation itself.<br /><br />But for trunked calls, timing is EVERYTHING. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <em>"2012.. Year of the Dragon!! Get on the Dragon Wagon!".</em> </div>

S

steampower

I don`t know about "search your brains" , I reckon mine is due a overhaul, I just tried to find the episode of space 1999 with the helicopter, but I can`t find it, am I mad? (maybe) or just muddled up space 1999 with some other series from that timeframe?, I could have sworn it was space 1999, I mean they held the golden turkey for bad science, things like opening a moonbase airlock blows the victim off the moon into deep space, or moon blasts out of Earths orbit at several Gs (why is moonbase Alpha fitted with an accelerometer?, how often do moonbases accelerate?) and an Eagle on the other side of the moon crash lands due to emp damage (how did it keep up with the moon?, how did it manage to "fall" onto the moon while it accelerated away at 5g or whatever?), loads of bad science, but I can`t find the helicopter episode :-s, could it have been UFO, nope!, that had better science I`m sure, it must have been space 1999, anyone remember this?, save my credibility :)<br /><br />steampower.

Y

yevaud

Good point. By rights, the iris should have disintegrated. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

D

derekmcd

If I happened to be that hero to the rescue during chicago's late afternoon rush hour traffic... you would find me on a bicycle. Thirty minutes DOES turn into several hours of sitting in a vehicle. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div> </div><br /><div><span style="color:#0000ff" class="Apple-style-span">"If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing." - Homer Simpson</span></div> </div>

T

tomnackid

Vogon, give them this much--at the time, no one was aware that there was water on Europa. You can't fault the writers for what scientists hadn't yet discovered. <br />-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Actually it has been known--or at least strongly conjectured--since the early part of the 20th century that the moons of the outer planets were mostly water ice or at least covered in thick layers of water ice. See Hienlien's "Farmer in the Sky". Also it has been assumed for a long time that much of Saturn's rings are composed of water ice. See Asimov's "The Martian Way". He had the right idea. His Mars colonists got fed up with trying to buy water from Earth and went out to Saturn's rings to get it. A longer trip, but cheaper in the long run.

L

lampblack

In Star Trek (or most other space programs), somehow spacecraft approaching from points light years distant from each other manage to show up aligned in *exactly* the same attitude relative to each other.<br /><br />Each is right-side-up from the other's perspective. Why isn't one of them flying sideways?<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#0000ff"><strong>Just tell the truth and let the chips fall...</strong></font> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.