Seeing the moon from the ISS

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

applesnap

Hi

This may be a really dumb question but is the moon always visible from the ISS? or does the earth get in the way some times?
If it's not always visible do you know how often they see it... or how to work that out? And is it always full or does it appear in phases as on earth?

Sorry if it's a really obvious answer! I'm more in to just looking at stars, never really thought about the man made things floating about up there!!

Thanks
Jane

M

MeteorWayne

The moon is visible for a little more than half of each 90 minute ISS orbit, just as on earth the moon is visible for half of each 24 hour day.

And since the viewpoint is almost exactly the same as that from the earth (200 out of 250,000 miles) they see the same phases we do here on the ground.

Welcome to Space.com!

A

applesnap

MeteorWayne":34xgssm5 said:
The moon is visible for a little more than half of each 90 minute ISS orbit, just as on earth the moon is visible for half of each 24 hour day.

And since the viewpoint is almost exactly the same as that from the earth (200 out of 250,000 miles) they see the same phases we do here on the ground.

Welcome to Space.com!

thank you! i knew it would be some sort of answer that was obvious once some one told me! :lol:

S

shuttle_guy

That picture,I believe, was taken by the Columbia crew and down linked to Earth. The crew was killed during re-entry Feb 1, 2003.

Status
Not open for further replies.