Senate Panel Boosts NASA Funding

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

docm

Link....<br /><br />+ $150 million to $17.45 billion.<br /><br /><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>WASHINGTON - A U.S. Senate panel has recommended providing $17.45 billion for NASA next year, or about $150 million more than the White House requested.<br /><br />The money was included in a $54.6 billion spending bill that cleared the Senate Appropriations commerce, justice, science subcommittee on June 26. The bill exceeds the White House request for the affected agencies by nearly $3.2 billion, with most of the additional money going to the Justice Department to fund local law enforcement programs.<br /><br />The bill also includes $4.2 billion for the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) - about $400 million above the White House request. All of the additional money would go to an oceans stewardship initiative.<br /><br />Sen. Barbara Mikulski (D-Md.), the subcommittee's chairman, said the NASA portion of the bill seeks to strike a balance between the agency's human spaceflight programs - which are fully funded - and its science and aeronautics programs.<br /><br />NASA's Science Mission Directorate would get $5.66 billion, about $140 million above the request. Within that total, $1.64 billion would go to Earth science, about $130 million more than NASA is seeking.<br /><br />NASA's Exploration Systems and Aeronautics Research mission directorates would be funded at their requested levels of $3.9 billion and $554 million, respectively.<br /><br />Sen. Richard Shelby (Ala.), the subcommittee's top Republican, said the bill includes funding for a robotic Moon lander NASA had canceled. A Senate aide said lawmakers added $50 million to NASA's Lunar Robotics and Precursor program budget so the agency can continue work on the lander, which is managed by the Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Ala.<br /><br />Mikulski told reporters after the markup session</p></blockquote> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Q

qso1

Thats good news. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

W

webtaz99

Crumbs for the jester..... <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Q

qso1

At this point, even crumbs are better than nothing or a decrease. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

S

solarspot

"the bill includes funding for a robotic Moon lander NASA had canceled. A Senate aide said lawmakers added $50 million to NASA's Lunar Robotics and Precursor program budget so the agency can continue work on the lander"<br /><br />That is quite interesting to hear. I wonder what the reasoning for that is... refunding a nearly useless and already cancelled program... <br /><br /><br />

D

docm

<font color="yellow">That is quite interesting to hear. I wonder what the reasoning for that is... refunding a nearly useless and already cancelled program...</font><br /><br />Try warching C-SPAN sometime, that's all they do except when they're creating <i><b>new</b></i> nearly useless programs. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts