Shooting stars changing direction at sharp angles?!?

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

yevaud

I'm not saying your intentions are "dishonest." I'm saying that you well know the implications of the term "UFO," and also that not everyone is a follower of the debates therein, or even interested in the subject. <br /><br />So to use the term when the very question asked by the original poster doesn't even hint at "UFOs," to provide that as an answer is a disservice.<br /><br />How many tens of thousands of words have you used in debating UFOs? Yet you don't understand that you don't try to inject the term into every question, every thread that appears?<br /><br />Give me a break. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

K

kmarinas86

<font color="yellow">Tonight I saw what I thought was a shooting star it moved very very fast then came to a total stop within a few seconds it took of on about a 45degree angle, then it stopped again and took of basically back in the direction it originally came from.</font><br /><br />A, B, C, or D?

L

lost_shaman

<font color="yellow">you well know the implications of the term "UFO"</font><br /><br />I've argued that the U.S. Air Force and J. Allen Hynek among others have defined the acronym. <br /><br />This sighting is so painfully similar to other "UFO sightings" that is goes without even needing to be said. All I did was to say it and your emotionally reacting to me having said what is OBVIOUS.

M

MeteorWayne

Nice illustrations, hopefully that will help clear some things up.<br /><br />How did you create them?<br />Such things might be useful in my Meteor lectures.<br /><br />MW <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

Y

yevaud

You see, you're still doing it. Mrtuft didn't ask anything about UFOs. He asked a simple and direct question involving simple scientific answers.<br /><br />You have multiple threads in which you are discussing UFOs and the phenomena <i>already</i>. Note that word correctly: <b>Phenomena</b>. Meaning it's not proven, it's all odd speculation, and nothing more.<br /><br />If you continue to attempt to answer this individual's straighforward questions about a simple observation as "It's a UFO," I will consider that you are deliberately hijacking threads and act accordingly.<br /><br />PERIOD. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

K

kmarinas86

<font color="yellow">Nice illustrations, hopefully that will help clear some things up.<br /><br />How did you create them?<br />Such things might be useful in my Meteor lectures.<br /><br />MW</font><br /><br />=D<br /><br />I drew it in Microsoft Word (Drawing toolbar). Then I took a screenshot, pasted it in Microsoft Paint, and saved the file (with lower case extension).<br /><br />The fill I used for the backgrounds is called "Nightfall". For adjusting the colors of the arrows, and other formatting properties, right click on one of the selected objects to modify those selected objects.

M

MeteorWayne

Thanks, I really appreciate it.<br /><br />MW <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

D

disownedsky

<blockquote><em>E.g., not an immediate leap to "UFOs" and a denial of known science. </em></blockquote><br /><ol><br /><li>I don't see such a leap in the subject post</li><br /><li>Are you conflating UFOs and a "denial of known science"?</li><br /></ol>

D

disownedsky

<p>This is why we need to know where in the sky he was looking. If relatively near the horizon, then he could be looking right down the track of a reentering satellite. If you ,are then the motions you observe are basically cross-track and are highly unpredictable. "Stopping" of course, means stopped in angular motion - it could still be heading towards you at 4-5 kilometers per second, just as an aircraft landing light appears to not be moving much when the aircraft is headed in your direction.</p><br />

Y

yevaud

Inasmuch as Lost_shaman seems to feel that he can inject UFOlogy into this (or any) thread when clearly it's not what the poser of the question wanted to know, this thread has been moved to ATA. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

Yevaud,<br />Did you PM mrtuft to let him know where his thread went? (He would be looking in Phenom, I'd like to help him) or should I? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

Y

yevaud

I most certainly did. Thanks for the suggestion though. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

Just in case as a new guy, he doesn't understand PM's yet, I posted a redirect message in Phenom. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

N

newtonian

mrtuft - Well, I have no idea what caused it - however I have also seen something similar.<br /><br />I and an elder in our congregation were looking at the stars - it was unusually clear for Long Island, N.Y. It may have been cold and dry - too long ago for me to remember that detail.<br /><br />It was high in the sky - and travelled a fairly long arc across the sky.<br /><br />It moved quite fast, but not fast for a meteor - too fast for satellite orbit - perhaps not for re-entry.<br /><br />It was about as bright as the brightest star.<br /><br />It moved straight, then made a right angle turn - went straight - then made another right angle turn and resumed its original direction, more or less.<br /><br />I have no idea what caused it, but the elder with me also saw it and was equally surprised.<br /><br />He also had no idea what caused it.<br /><br />There are obvious reasons why I rarely tell anyone about it. <br /><br />kmarinas - None of those diagrams depict the trajectory I saw.

K

kmarinas86

<font color="yellow">mrtuft - Well, I have no idea what caused it - however I have also seen something similar.<br /><br />I and an elder in our congregation were looking at the stars - it was unusually clear for Long Island, N.Y. It may have been cold and dry - too long ago for me to remember that detail.<br /><br />It was high in the sky - and travelled a fairly long arc across the sky.<br /><br />It moved quite fast, but not fast for a meteor - too fast for satellite orbit - perhaps not for re-entry.<br /><br />It was about as bright as the brightest star.<br /><br />It moved straight, then made a right angle turn - went straight - then made another right angle turn and resumed its original direction, more or less.<br /><br />I have no idea what caused it, but the elder with me also saw it and was equally surprised.<br /><br />He also had no idea what caused it.<br /><br />There are obvious reasons why I rarely tell anyone about it.</font><br /><br />Do any of these match with your sighting, and if so, which one is the closest match?

N

nexium

Your diagrams all show a right and a left turn rather than two right turns. Neil

K

kmarinas86

<font color="yellow">Your diagrams all show a right and a left turn rather than two right turns. Neil</font><br /><br />Fantastic observation neil!

M

mrtuft

I live in n.ireland if that helps, sky was relatively clear, cold and windy and the colour as far was white.

M

mrtuft

Not sure it was the speed and braking and then the acceleration again not sure if that would be similar to satellite breakups!?

M

mrtuft

I dont partake in drugs, im not delluded, I dont lie, im not a kid and I know what I saw!

M

mrtuft

Im not able to identify different areas of the sky I have a interest but occassional, crossing paths of meteors is quite interesting but again I dont think it could be used to totally describe it as between direction changes there was a pause?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts