Shooting stars during the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

spunky711

Is it possible to see meteors during the day? Today around 9am I was out looking at Venus (it is possible where I am located to see it with the naked eye during daytime when Venus is near or at its brightest and there is a clear blue sky) and while I was trying to figure out the distance between the Sun and Moon I saw a flash or 'star' in my peripheral vision move from north to south. My best guestimate was it was about 30 degrees to the south/west of Venus about where I would put Orion (best guess since I can't see any other sky object during during the day other than the Moon and Sun). It was probably at least twice as bright as Venus.

M

MeteorWayne

Very interesting observation,<br /><br />Certainly it's possible, since really bright fireballs can easily approach moon magnitude.<br /><br />Can you send me all the details you remember via PM (Go to your home and click on "Send a PM"<br /><br />Anything you can do to refine the time would be great.<br /> (along with your location)<br /><br />So the meteor moved parallel to the horizon?<br /><br />How long did it last?<br /><br />etc,etc,etc.<br /><br />What I'd like to help you do is fill out a fireball report form, for any of the metor organizations worldwide. NAMN,AMS,IMO....just get the info into a database before you forget the details.<br /><br />I'll point you to some forms and help you fill one out.<br /><br />We meteoricists would really appreciate it!<br /><br />Meteor Wayne <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

P

PistolPete

Interesting story. How fast was it moving? Was it moving very fast, streaking accross the sky almost too quick to be seen? Or was it moving a little bit slower?<br /><br />I remember when I was about 12 or so seeing what could only be a large peice of space debris reentering the atmosphere in the middle of the day. Knowing what I know now, it was moving through the sky way too slowly to be a meteor, but too fast to be an aircraft, so it had to be space debris. It was definatly on fire because I could make out the flames and it flared from time to time. Peices of it also broke off and fell away from it. The best way to visualise it would be to watch the video of the Columbia disaster in 2003. It was exatly like that except smaller and not quite as many peices.<br /><br />Was what you saw like that? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><em>So, again we are defeated. This victory belongs to the farmers, not us.</em></p><p><strong>-Kambei Shimada from the movie Seven Samurai</strong></p> </div>

S

spunky711

I looked to me just like a 'shooting star', pretty much the same as what a meteor looks like at night, except there was no visible trail. It moved in a straight line from north to south (slightly eastward) and was only visible for a very brief time (similar to what I have seen during meteor showers). Lucklily I happened to be on my cell phone and the call (per AT&T anyway) was initiated at 8:55am pacific time; the sighting could not have been more than a couple minutes after that. Definitely brighter than Venus during the day. Although it was bright, unless you were looking up into the sky at the time (like I was luckily) you wouldn't have even noticed it.

D

docm

It's very possible. I've seen a few at dusk myself, usually when photographing sunsets.<br /><br />BTW: I ran into a pic from the Science News site back in 2000 showing a Leonid breaking up. Just too cool not to share.<br /><br />Pic...<br /><br />Site: http://www.resonancepub.com/science2000.htm <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

S

shadow735

I would say yes but it would depend on the size and atmospheric effects of its entry. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts