"Shooting stars" seen raining down on the sun for the first time (images)

Mar 5, 2021
Visit site
This article compares coronal rain to meteors and never exactly goes into detail about there origin. What I determined is clumps of the sun blow out into space and then crash back onto the Sun. This would be far from a meteor. If pieces of the Earth blew up and landed back on Earth, this would be referred to something like a volcano's ash or debris. Correct me if I'm wrong!

You are correct, it is confusing. When they say "meteors" and "rain" people rightly assume the Sun has solids and liquids being tossed around. At no time, anywhere on, or in, the Sun is there anything but ionized atoms obeying the perfect gas laws. No compounds, no neutral gas, no solids. It can be argued that the dense fluid inside the Sun is a liquid. But in the low pressure photosphere, only exist gasses.

Mar 5, 2021
Visit site
You are correct, it is confusing. When they say "meteors" and "rain" people rightly assume the Sun has solids and liquids being tossed around. At no time, anywhere on, or in, the Sun is there anything but ionized atoms obeying the perfect gas laws. No compounds, no neutral gas, no solids. It can be argued that the dense fluid inside the Sun is a liquid. But in the low pressure photosphere, only exist gasses.
Though plasma is kinda' like a liquid and a gas, except at a quantum level. I just wish they get their nomenclature right. (plasma rain, or debris?)

Reactions: billslugg

Latest posts