Should nasa own up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Skyskimmer

Guest
Alright here goes is it just me or should nasa own up to it's long list of problems that have occured over the last 40 years.

I don't mean accept blame(that's political) I mean we all know most of what happened was out of their control( so lets take blame or any form of political diatribes out of the picture).


On a purely economics standpoint, should they acknowledge the amount of waste that has gone on(regardless of the cause) I don't mean in terms of some political attack. I mean purely in a learn from your mistakes kinda of thinking. This ain't an anti nasa standpoint, but I think they should take stock of what they do well and what they do poorly.

The reason I say this is because I feel like there's alot of people that don't understand the major finacial issue's they face.
 
S

Skyskimmer

Guest
JonClarke":1teisvu8 said:
All they have to own up to is 40 years of achievement.
:x Lol the ISS cost about 100 billion, I'm sure Bigelow could take a good crack at that for say 10 billion, Then there's the shuttle we could have FalconXX 420 ton launch systems for the budget it got. I could go on all day but I won't.

Point is if iNasa treated it's 20 bil budget like any other agency, or company, the amount of waste that has gone on would have the CEO jumping out of windows. Your talking about 1000 percent waste percentages, don't get me wrong they have there reason's for it. But regardless it's the past looking forward anyone with any understanding of the money they dealt with would have to agree that this cannot happen again. I'm sorry I'm ranting it's just extremely frustrating.

I'm just terrified that people won't realize the way it is until it's too late. This shuttle should of been canceled the second it started costing more than typical rockets. It sunk nasa for the 70's/80's, than to boot they sunk the last two decades with the ISS/shuttle maintaience. It's pretty depressing, if you ask me, how an organization can have such high regard for technology, and have no regard to efficiency. But I digress this is farther beyond what I wanted to say.
 
V

Valcan

Guest
Skyskimmer":muyq9p4j said:
JonClarke":muyq9p4j said:
quote]

Nasa has done amazingly well for a government entitiy with basically no control over their budget, mission and such. Maube the people who need to own up are the american people who have been election morrons more conserned with their own parties power and there pet projects than the advancment of the American people's understanding of the universe and science. Go talk to the airforce the navy and even the army about how little they have benefited from Nasa.

Just sayin...
 
B

bdewoody

Guest
Skyskimmer":320q0scl said:
JonClarke":320q0scl said:
All they have to own up to is 40 years of achievement.
:x Lol the ISS cost about 100 billion, I'm sure Bigelow could take a good crack at that for say 10 billion, Then there's the shuttle we could have FalconXX 420 ton launch systems for the budget it got. I could go on all day but I won't.

.
LOL yourself. The ISS is up there and running and it wasn't just built by NASA. The Russians, ESA and Japan have all contributed to it's existance. Bigelo has a couple of empty balls flying in orbit and they were NASA hand me downs. If any private venture gets people into orbit it will be on the back of the research done by NASA scientists and engineers. I don't see where they could have spent their money any better.
 
S

SteveCNC

Guest
I don't see where NASA has anything to own up for . The bad spending habits are a product of Congress not NASA , those back room deals and such that send certain amounts of money to constituents regions is where the really bad waste is . I think NASA has done great things with what they have had to work with and will continue to do great things . I'm just glad to see commercial space coming into being so launch costs not only for private but for NASA as well can be brought under better control . If we could just keep congress' sticky fingers out of things it would be great but I don't think that will ever happen .
 
S

Skyskimmer

Guest
bdewoody":4zl1zd4v said:
Skyskimmer":4zl1zd4v said:
JonClarke":4zl1zd4v said:
All they have to own up to is 40 years of achievement.
:x Lol the ISS cost about 100 billion, I'm sure Bigelow could take a good crack at that for say 10 billion, Then there's the shuttle we could have FalconXX 420 ton launch systems for the budget it got. I could go on all day but I won't.

.
LOL yourself. The ISS is up there and running and it wasn't just built by NASA. The Russians, ESA and Japan have all contributed to it's existance. Bigelo has a couple of empty balls flying in orbit and they were NASA hand me downs. If any private venture gets people into orbit it will be on the back of the research done by NASA scientists and engineers. I don't see where they could have spent their money any better.
I'd agree for the most part that's why I say it's not pure blame what has been learned has a great effect on our future. My point is though we can't go back to that type of format or we will fail to go forward. It worked when nothing could done, but I think cost plus, and making 10 design arks with the people money can't be done again, you can blaim congress all you want, but at the end of the day, you can't expect govs to stay loyal to project that they had no intial part in. Again lets keep this unpolitical. I'm not say they didn't have there reasons.

I'm saying we can't fall back into any of the old parters of the past. If you can't objectively exspect to get things done for cheaper the whole deal is a lost game. Reverted to old techs(cost paradigms) is the worst thing can be done for getting us forward.
 
B

believer_since_1956

Guest
Skyskimmer":236kza2s said:
Alright here goes is it just me or should nasa own up to it's long list of problems that have occured over the last 40 years.

I don't mean accept blame(that's political) I mean we all know most of what happened was out of their control( so lets take blame or any form of political diatribes out of the picture).


On a purely economics standpoint, should they acknowledge the amount of waste that has gone on(regardless of the cause) I don't mean in terms of some political attack. I mean purely in a learn from your mistakes kinda of thinking. This ain't an anti nasa standpoint, but I think they should take stock of what they do well and what they do poorly.

The reason I say this is because I feel like there's alot of people that don't understand the major finacial issue's they face.

This is the way government buisness has been conducted since WW2. NASA has no say, the rules were established by the congress and upper elements of the excuitive branch.
 
S

Skyskimmer

Guest
FictionBecomesFact":9qx3vgig said:
:eek: If anyone doubts that corruption is prevalent at our monopolistic space bureaucracy known as NASA, how do they explain THIS?

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=27269


:roll:
Lol I just think of constellation, being pretty corupt it's willfully keeping us trapped in the 1960's. With a 20 bil a year budget you'd have to start wondering if there's a conspiracy.

I remember where they were making artificial throw up just to test a waste bag. Christ just invite a bunch of freshman's over and you'll save a ton of dough.
 
S

SteveCNC

Guest
I don't believe the actions of two individuals warrants calling NASA corrupt , no matter who the organization is there will always be a statistical probability of having a few people that given the opportunity will try to get away with doing illegal things . Corrupt would be knowing who's guilty of doing this stuff but not doing anything about it .
 
S

Skyskimmer

Guest
SteveCNC":2jfa04ds said:
I don't believe the actions of two individuals warrants calling NASA corrupt , no matter who the organization is there will always be a statistical probability of having a few people that given the opportunity will try to get away with doing illegal things . Corrupt would be knowing who's guilty of doing this stuff but not doing anything about it .
Agreed for them to be corupt would suggest that they trying to gain something illegally, they have no interest in making gains. There a mega scale make work project.

There sole concern is job security, I can't say I blame em, but it's what do you want jobs or advancement, regardless I hope they get out of space tech all together once launch/habitat companies get off the ground. Take that 20 bill budget and just send a few thousand scientist in orbit to do research there. We all win :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts