Should we maybe build a Space camper instead of a ship?

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Valcan

I was thinking the other day about how to explain why building a ship on earth and then sending it straight to mars is a waste compared to sending one from LEO. Its like building a ship in Iowa then sending it hundreds of miles to the ocean it needs to crawl like a tank or the shuttle track then float like a ship then dive like a sub.

Or you could ship parts to the coast to a dock that would build them.

Which is easier/ cheaper/ better?

So i was thinking could we use something like the bigelow moduals to build a sort of Mobile Platform that can be hauled to a NEO or some other site to perform a task then when done be towed back? If its no longer needed it could still be used as a space station.

It would also be modular so it could be expanded as needed. Maybe someday you'll see something like that operate like a Oil rigg in the ocean. (without the spillage)

My point is the Earth-Lunar system doesnt nessesitate a Full blown ship anymore than your local lake does.

BTW anyone know the maximum size a bigelow inflatable modual could get to?

J

James_Bull

Well theoretically any size! As far as I know it depends on and is limited by the dimensions of the cargo hold in the launch rocket. They effectively double inside once in orbit, so think of a standard US ISS module's diamter doubled.

A Saturn or Ares V style heavy lift could launch something absolutely massive. I believe they actually drew up plans for this aswell. (Skylab was huge inside, imagine double the size!)

A bigalow inflatable "camper" with VASIMR ion engines would go very nicely! ;)

V

Valcan

James_Bull":7nw1b2i9 said:
Well theoretically any size! As far as I know it depends on and is limited by the dimensions of the cargo hold in the launch rocket. They effectively double inside once in orbit, so think of a standard US ISS module's diamter doubled.

A Saturn or Ares V style heavy lift could launch something absolutely massive. I believe they actually drew up plans for this aswell. (Skylab was huge inside, imagine double the size!)

A bigalow inflatable "camper" with VASIMR ion engines would go very nicely! ;)

Well it would need a keel first of all. A modual for docking and connecting the various other moduals. But yea. I figure you can either leave the engines on or disconnect for another use some where.

S

scottb50

Valcan":2sfqezvl said:
Well it would need a keel first of all. A modual for docking and connecting the various other moduals. But yea. I figure you can either leave the engines on or disconnect for another use some where.

I always liked the Winnebago in Space Balls.

I see no reason for keels or other attachments, just use identical Modules that attach securely to each other end to end or side by side. Use the same Modules as propellant tanks and cargo containers and outfit them for their new use in orbit. The more launches the more building material to build different vehicles or stations as needed.

My idea uses two parts, rings and tubes, identical except for size. A Module would be two or more Segments, a Segment would have two end rings and four side rings, again exactly identical except for their size. Fiber winding connects the six rings. Resin is added and the entire Segment cured into a single piece cage like structure. Modification to the end rings allows them to either slide over a tube or contain the tube and allow for a hatch. A simple Module would use two identcal Segments each with one closed and one open end ring. The Segments are attached top each other over the tube to provide a secure structure, use a Segment with both ends open and a longer tube and you have a bigger Module. The end rings then can attach to other end rings, on other Modules to create various structures.
Smaller rings around the midpoint of each Segment then attach to their counterpoints on other Modules, eliminating the need for keels or other added structures.

Plug type hatches in the rings allow transfer between Modules, either contents or people.

V

Valcan

scottb50":2h0l6ayl said:
Valcan":2h0l6ayl said:

I always liked the Winnebago in Space Balls.

I see no reason for keels or other attachments, just use identical Modules that attach securely to each other end to end or side by side. Use the same Modules as propellant tanks and cargo containers and outfit them for their new use in orbit. The more launches the more building material to build different vehicles or stations as needed.

My idea uses two parts, rings and tubes, identical except for size. A Module would be two or more Segments, a Segment would have two end rings and four side rings, again exactly identical except for their size. Fiber winding connects the six rings. Resin is added and the entire Segment cured into a single piece cage like structure. Modification to the end rings allows them to either slide over a tube or contain the tube and allow for a hatch. A simple Module would use two identcal Segments each with one closed and one open end ring. The Segments are attached top each other over the tube to provide a secure structure, use a Segment with both ends open and a longer tube and you have a bigger Module. The end rings then can attach to other end rings, on other Modules to create various structures.
Smaller rings around the midpoint of each Segment then attach to their counterpoints on other Modules, eliminating the need for keels or other added structures.

Plug type hatches in the rings allow transfer between Modules, either contents or people.

I wonder if the bigelow moduals are strong enough to be rotated and used for AG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts