Shuttle launch next Feb & history locations

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JoelHughes

Hi there,
am visiting KSC next Feb (2010) in the hope of seeing a shuttle launch - any hints and tips would be gratefully received.

Specifically I was wondering:

1) I can see that STS130 or STS131 is due to go up in Feb next year. Obviously this is a tricky question to answer but what is the likelyhood that any of them will go up on time? Obviously the issue for me is that I need to book up flights.

2) I'm also a keen fan of the Mercury/Gemini/Apollo era. What other interesting locations from that era (in that general location) should I consider? Even stuff like "Wolfie's Diner" (the place Gus Grissom's infamous sandwhich came from).

Thanks for any thoughts!

Joel

E

earth_bound_misfit

Hi Joel, welcome to the SDC forums.
It's a dream of mine also to see a Shuttle launch before it's all finished. As for seeing a launch on time in February, it's a long time out and would be impossible to say this early. Hell, it's hard to say a week or two out from launch. Hopefully Shuttle_guy might pop in and say what percentage of launches have actually got away on the planned timeline.
I think the best bet is to find out when it's scheduled for and try to "hang around" for a couple of weeks. If it does get off on time, then you may also get to see it's return as well.
Good luck with it.

S

shuttle_guy

The chance of a Shuttle launch in Feb '10 is just a guess at this point. The closer the time comes the better the prediction of a launch date.

The best place to watch the launch is to get a pass from the KSC visitors center. Otherwise the river in Titusville is the best viewing site.

Status
Not open for further replies.