Visiting USA next spring and want to see a shuttle launch

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

missionunknown

Hi me and two mates are going to the usa next spring for 2 months to travel across it. And one of the things I want to do is see a shuttle launch! I see atlantis is scheduled for may 14th and so that is the one we would probably aim for. I would just like some general tips and info about doing this preferably from someone whose done this before, such as;

How close to the site should we get for a really good sight of it? ( i want to see as much as possible).
Is it necessary to go to the kennedy space centre, how much does this cost?
How likely is a delay and how long to they generally last?

Many thanks!

M

MeteorWayne

Since we have more than one thread on this same general subject, seeing a remaining shuttle launch, and the advice is pretty much the same, I will combine the threads and select an appropriate title.

Wayne

B

bluegrassgazer

I saw Challenger fly in 1983. When we pulled up to the Space Center, my mom told the employee directing traffic that we came all the way from Kentucky just to see the launch (which wasn't entirely true) and they sent us to a very good viewing area.

I'm not sure if things are different since the Challenger accident, or even 9/11, but make sure when you arrive to tell them that you are from outside the US and came JUST for this.

I really hope you get to see it. It's truly awesome and over so fast. Good luck!

M

missionunknown

Thanks for the tip bluegrassgazer.

I'm guessing the nasa website is the best place to keep up to date with the launch schedule? I'm really afraid that we'll miss the launch once i'm there, how can I keep up to date with whats going on?

M

MeteorWayne

Well there's always here :)

When the mission starts getting worked on, there's always a prelaunch thread started, and we usually keep it up to date (checking more sources than just NASA, which isn't always the fastest), space geeks that we are. ;)

M

missionunknown

MeteorWayne":3hpggw2k said:
Well there's always here :)

When the mission starts getting worked on, there's always a prelaunch thread started, and we usually keep it up to date (checking more sources than just NASA, which isn't always the fastest), space geeks that we are. ;)

Ok, so (forgive me i am not uber nerdy yet with the terminology) the latest thread about a shuttle launch is the one titled 'STS -129 pre launch processing.' With the sts meaning the shuttle?

M

MeteorWayne

Yes that's correct, STS (Shuttle Transportation System)-129 is the Atlantis launch currently scheduled for November 16th.

The mission in May you are aiming for is STS 132, currently scheduled for May 14th. Since that is also Atlantis, the exact timing will depend on how processing goes after this mission, and of course, when this one gets off the ground and how the timing of the two intervening missions (STS-130 and STS 131) goes.

A dedicated thread on STS-132 will not be opened until after this mission is over and they begin post mission processing of the vehicle.

C

chrisb123

Hei Even i am interested in watching the launch, am currently located in Eu, is it possible to get a tourist visa for this purpose?

Cheers!

M

mj1

The one shuttle launch that I did see live was the Challenger disaster when I was a kid. I have never been able to view another launch without thinking about it. As far as expecting a shuttle launch to happen when it's supposed to? Good luck with that. When is the last time those creaky old shuttles acutally launched when they were scheduled to? If you guys are planning to come, you'd better be cognizant of the million or so delays. I'll bet that this one will not launch on time either.

M

missionunknown

mj1":2i35rlkj said:
The one shuttle launch that I did see live was the Challenger disaster when I was a kid. I have never been able to view another launch without thinking about it. As far as expecting a shuttle launch to happen when it's supposed to? Good luck with that. When is the last time those creaky old shuttles acutally launched when they were scheduled to? If you guys are planning to come, you'd better be cognizant of the million or so delays. I'll bet that this one will not launch on time either.

Uggh the challenger disaster it always makes me so sad. How long has the present shuttle been delayed? I think i'll dedicated 1 week to the shuttle launch and being in florida and just hope for the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts