Simpler stations

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nibb31

Inflatable modules provide volume. But a station isn't just about putting a large pressurized volume in orbit. To make it worthwhile, you need equipment.<br /><br />What are the plans for outfitting these Bigelow modules with all the bulky equipment that you have in the ISS for example ? You need life support systems, experiment racks, kitchen, bathroom, toilets, airlock, exercice equipment, and all this in sufficient redundancy. You need furniture, tables, lockers. Then you need supplies, and light equipment.<br /><br />I don't think this can all fit in a couple of Orion cargo or Progress flights, or anything equivalent. <br /><br />I foresee the outfitting of a large Bigelow station to be quite comparable to the number of construction flights for the ISS.

R

rocketman5000

It could be outfitted as a particular expirement needs to be ran. If you need a new rack for and expirement you bring it up with the next crew. I am sure on every launch there is spare mass that you can haul around. <br /><br />Leave extra supplies behind everytime you leave and pretty soon the pantry should be well stocked.

J

j05h

> What are the plans for outfitting these Bigelow modules with all the bulky equipment that you have in the ISS for example ? <br /><br />First off, the two types of station are radically different - effectively mammal vs reptile. One is Soviet legacy hardware with a little American tin can on the end. The other is based on much different engineering and philosophy.<br /><br />The basic Nautilus will contain most of the hardware needed to turn it into a station at launch. The LS racks, inflation gear and power are all stored in racks in the solid central core of the Nautilus. After inflation, the racks of gear are removed from the core and mounted in final position. Their plan is that an entire basic station can be flown in two flights: one Nautilus and one Sundancer, excluding resupply. Most of the Nautilus info was in their patent application, which is public info.<br /><br />Bigelow may or may not build their own hotel, but they are looking to supply many of these units to many groups. The number of outfitting flights for any particular configuration will vary based on the application. I don't see an ISS-equivalent station requiring anywhere near the same number of flights as ISS - simply because the Nautilus are much more self-contained and docking just two of them together would produce more volume than ISS. <br /><br />Again, the basic Nautilus will be fully functional out of the box. (some assembly required)<br /><br />Josh <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div align="center"><em>We need a first generation of pioneers.</em><br /></div> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.