Slow forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nimbus

Got this error message, figured it might be useful enough to IT people to be worth reporting.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /storage/web/Library/php/PHPLIB/common/db_mysql_06.php on line 79: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Can't connect to MySQL server on 'db.int.space.com' (4)
Database error: connect failed.
MySQL Error: ()

D

doublehelix

Thanks, nimbus - you're right about it being slow. I've forwarded on your note to our product manager, and she'll know where to direct it. Apologies for any inconveniences that it may be causing.

-dh

N

nimbus

Forums very slow again and this google chrome browser says that it's waiting for either
pubads.g.doubleclick.net
or
ad.doubleclick.net
everytime it hangs.

There's also a moment of "waiting for space.com", but it's fairly quick - seconds.

M

MeteorWayne

Yeah, still hosed as of 5:40 PM EST. It works...sometimes...slowly....

A

a_lost_packet_

Slow.jpg

boards.JPG

(Since the images aren't on SDC and all the site has to do is serve up the links, they shouldn't contribute to anyone's Slow experience..)

Of note, it seems SDC is slow to respond.. Member avatar pics also aren't all loading on time either and the style sheets sometimes come through malformed.

M

MeteorWayne

Yes it's been hosed all day, and it continues as of 10:30 PM EST...

N

nimbus

Seems better now. Only thing I can think of is the coincidence of those new ads (green socks ad everytime, it seemed) and browser saying it's waiting for something out of doubleclick.net ad service.

M

Mee_n_Mac

Nope, still ungodly slow this AM. It's at least a refresh to successfully load a page each time. Lots of time outs waiting for http://www.space.com/forums/blahblahblah. Before this reply I waited minutes for some pic to d/l. I assume it was the avatar for nimbus since there wasn't one displayed for him. Makes me wish for the good ole days of Pluck.

Bring back Pluck ! Bring back Pluck !! Bring bac aaarrggghhhhhhhh .....

Paint+Dry+(Screenshot).jpg

W

Woggles

This is the message I been getting once in a while

This Page Cannot Be Displayed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The system cannot communicate with the external server ( www.space.com ). The Internet server may be busy, may be permanently down, or may be unreachable because of network problems.

Please check the spelling of the Internet address entered. If it is correct, try this request later.

If you have questions, or feel this is an error, please contact your local IT helpdesk and provide the codes shown below.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Notification codes: (1, GATEWAY_TIMEOUT, www.space.com)

D

doublehelix

So, they've been working on the problem all morning. I think it's getting better. I poked my head into one of the dev's office and he was on the phone with the people that can help resolve this. Sorry for the inconvenience, and thanks for your patience.

-dh

D

doublehelix

MeteorWayne":2zdadafe said:
It has seemed better since a little after noon.

Cool - I've also noticed an improvement in the last hour or so. Said dev mentioned upthread was on the phone for like an hour working on this!

-dh

A

aphh

The whole sh... I mean site is sphagetti code. Fetch one object from here and one object from there. This is one of the slowest sites in the cybersphere.

It's ofcourse a free service, so you get what you pay for.

N

nimbus

Mee_n_Mac":1igdf9ep said:
Bring back Pluck ! Bring back Pluck !! Bring bac aaarrggghhhhhhhh .....
No way.. Uplink bare bones anytime :) Nothing but username and what she/he has to say, on a clean and simple full screen format. Links to other parts of the SDC site and relative sites at the top and bottom ends.

V

vogon13

Funny to see this thread.

I go to Ebay, fast; UMSF, fast; IMDB, fast; LBC,fast; Spacedotcom, ALWAYS slow.

Slow, slow, slow, slow.

Just as slow as the reprobate Pluck experience.

s

l

o

w.

:evil:

D

doublehelix

Woggles":1z44mimh said:
Working great now! Thanks!!

Cool. They are working on server issues again today and things seem faster for sure.

-dh

B

Boris_Badenov

The site was out completely for around 2 hours. Sheesh, what happened?

D

doublehelix

They've been working on the servers. I know there were some stuff to fix, so that explains it.

-dh

A

a_lost_packet_

doublehelix":2ztqq6pe said:
They've been working on the servers. I know there were some stuff to fix, so that explains it.

-dh

Ah.. "stuff!" "Stuff" is always breaking. Why do we keep buying it? I know lots of people buy "Stuff." Even my friends buy it. Just the other day I was talking with a friend that was on his way out to go buy some "Stuff." Terrible thing, "stuff".. always causing problems..

(Had to start a new "Post Reply" to get this post through, btw.. Must be some Stuff busted again..)

V

vogon13

FWIW:

For the FIRST time since the blessed Infopop era (really), Spacedotcom is running for me at what I would characterize as a 'normal' speed.

It is entirely comparable to IMDB, AVSForum, Landover Baptist, Ebay, and Wikipedia now.

I would give a pat on the back to whomever fixed it, and I might suggest someone noodle out the current server settings onto a nice low tech piece of typing paper, and then affix said piece of typing paper to the wall surface above the server mechanism with a sturdy hank of duct tape.

Lest we forget.

You might also surmise that if this happy state persists, I might post more here.

Beware sinners.

:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts